Talking Stick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

I'm, on the Board of Directors for an agency that runs support group meetings for teens (among other things). The kids talk over one another and the group facilitators asked for a "talking stick" that will symbolize who has the floor.

Anybody know what the wood is? I just found it in the cut-offs and scraps box at Wood Craft. The completed piece is about a foot long.

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0585.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Julia, that is simply fantastic. Am I correct in thinking that the captive rings are part of the same chunk? And is that Off centre turning on the end? If so, you are one brave lady. I tried it once and nearly broke my nose when it flew off the lathe.
Even the segmenting is spot on[:D] Wow
Of course, I have no idea what the wood is, but I'm sure someone will get it[:D]

M

Mudder

Looks like some Olivewood that I got from woodcraft a few months ago.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am 99% sure it is Zebrawood. I have a block 2x2x12 inch without lots of the dark brown grain streaks, exactly like you pictured above.

I have other Zebrawood that has lots of dark brown streaks.

jtate

I didn't notice any particular smell. I've never knowingly turned olivewood so I don't know what it would smell like.

The asymmetrical end is turned off center. Slowly and with small shallow cuts. I was nervous but it worked out okay.

There were supposed to bhe three captive rings but as I was turning one of them it broke off. Oh well. I love rutning captive rings because non-woodworkers are fascinated by them. I want to get some proper tools for it at some point. Right now I just angle in a fingernail gouge and hope it all works out.

Thanks for the comments and the identification of the wood.

mrcook4570

Nice job! Looks like zebrawood to me as well. If it were bigger, the user could either knock an interrupter in the head or stick it in their mouth to stop the noise [:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom