Tailstock Handle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

I've been meaning to make a handle for the tailstock release on my Jet 1221 since I bought it. The one that came with it was a puny rubber coated handle that was a pain to tighten down. This one is a huge improvement and is also much nicer looking....even has my initials on it!

If you have a 1221 with the stock handle you owe it to yourself to turn a new one (IMHO).

Attachments

• Lathe Handle.jpg
    Lathe Handle.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 277
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Steve,
Don't want to hijack your thread, but I do like your handle.. much cooler than mine.
My turning buddy made handles for his lathes and I thought they were cool, he made his from Birds Eye Maple and polished them nice and smooth, really great looking... mine are turned out of hickory, sanded lightly and a light coat of sanding sealer... These are my handles on my JET1442...

I had one more of the tailstock lock handle, but up load on my post...

Attachments

• 0321171439b.jpg
    0321171439b.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 0321171440a.jpg
    0321171440a.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 142

Bobostro61

Very nice indeed! I have a VS1221 myself and have hated the tailstock handle. You can never get it tight enough where it doesn't slide a tiny bit when tightening the quill.

Question... Did you remove the rubber from the original handle before putting on the wood handle?

SteveAxelrod

I slit the rubber cover on the handle and removed it easily. I don't think it was even glued on, so you may be able to wriggle it off. By the way, my handle is 6" long and made of maple. No more worry about the tailstock moving when I tighten the quill!

Top Bottom