Sycamore Vase-------BIGGGGGG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Fresh off the lathe today Sycamore Vase. This monster stands 18 1/2 tall and 8 inch wide at the roundest point. Now it will get to rest for a week and soak in all the oils I have been buffing into it..
The stack of 3 pop cans is just for some scale.
Hope you enjoy

2007114233415_bigone.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Gary, that is a very cool vase, the wood is great.
I have never turned anything as big and would like to ask a maybe dumb question;

When you hollow out something so big can you save anything from the middle? Can you save a core, like you get when using a hole saw?

And, aren't you scared to put your arm inside when turning?

Cheers

Gary Max

Steve all you get is a very big pile of sawdust and chips when you turn something like this.
Safety-----I once read a post from a guy that kinda sums it up real nice.
------------Chess is very safe---------
Everything about a lathe is dangerous-----yes there are things we do to make it safer but at the end of the day.
-----------Chess would be the way to go.
I just wish I was better at Marketing these because I sure would love to turn full time. Right now I still do a bunch of Flat work.

Gary Max

Frank I spent all of last year and every extra dime I could get my hands on getting this system working right. Everything from a steady rest to custom made tools. I have to send everything out to a machine shop.
We don't even want to talk about the fisrt two times I had tools for this system that did not work right. But I guess thrid time was a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom