Suspended Oval Vessel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I woke up the other day with a plan for a bowl and went to the shop and started working on it. My plan quickly morphed into something else entirely and I ended up with this. I made it difficult by turning the legs as wings on the bottom of the bowl. Cutting that deeply into a narrow opening into three blade propeller adds significantly to the pucker factor. I decided that the legs were too wide so I trimmed them on the bandsaw. That's when I realized that I could have cut it as a solid ring and then cut the legs out on the bandsaw. That would have been much easier. My wife thinks it needs a top. I turned it green and it turned into an oval as the wood dried and I do not know how to make an oval top. I tried using another piece of wet wood but it did not warp proportionally.

Never mind, my intention all along was to make a suspended oval vessel.

636EE1B5-8B73-4B2F-A98F-AC548B307A6A.jpg

8FF43BC1-BFA0-4684-A560-1E73644A42BB.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

It looks greats without a lid, but it sound like it is her wants that has you.

You can make an oval top 2 ways, one, simply cut it out with a bandsaw, and router an inset edge on it and then do what you do with carving the top of it.

The second choice, build a simple ornamental lathe and create a rosette to cut a lid that will fit the opening of your oval bowl.

The first solution is simple, but the second will get you a new toy to play with. A 3x9x6 block of wood, 2 pieces 1 foot long of 5/8" steel rod, a Shopsmith spindle adapter, a router, a handful of miscellaneous things including a XY vise at a cost of about $100.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have several snarky comments that I'll keep to myself. :wink:

The vessel is extremely nice Cody. I love the direction you are going towards; enjoy. and thanks for sharing.

Charlie_W

Oh My Cody... you have found one of those talents you didn't know you possessed! Just a few years ago, you were just getting started in turning and have progressed not only swiftly but with wonderful turnings as well!

Looks like you will have multiple entries in the Richmond Woodturning Contest!

Keep them coming

Cwalker935

Thanks dogcatcher, Mark, Charlie and Bob

Oh My Cody... you have found one of those talents you didn't know you possessed! Just a few years ago, you were just getting started in turning and have progressed not only swiftly but with wonderful turnings as well!

Keep them coming

Charlie, the competition will be earlier this year in March. They are putting together several good demos and one not so good one for March 9. If you have the time you might try to make the trip down. They must have been running low when filling the last demo and asked me to do the not so good demo. I'll describe how I do my teapots.

MDWine

"Never tell'm what it is until you're finished" (or finished with it!)

Either way, intentional or not, it looks great! A top would be interesting, Maybe bandsaw method for shape, then turn a finial in the middle? could be interesting!!!

well done!

Charlie_W

Thanks dogcatcher, Mark, Charlie and Bob

Keep them coming

Charlie, the competition will be earlier this year in March. They are putting together several good demos and one not so good one for March 9. If you have the time you might try to make the trip down. They must have been running low when filling the last demo and asked me to do the not so good demo. I'll describe how I do my teapots.

Cody, I am confident your teapot demo will be a highlight. Would like to come down but just not sure I can make it.
Good to see Richmond Woodcraft is hosting this contest. Our Woodcraft has not had a Turning contest in years:frown:.....new management (the owner)...

Top Bottom