Stubby Stylus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chatham PenWorks

These are using some of the CSUSA components. No tubes.

Aside from the sorry photography, what do you guys think? All C and C welcome.

image-4168353896.jpg

image-203302505.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
longbeard said:
Those are pretty nice, i like the clip idea on a stubby.

Thanks. Without the tubes, the clip is mandatory. Your fingers need to touch metal on these, which is hard not to do with such a small package.

gbpens said:
Dropping the tubes allows the acrylic to really stand out. Very creative idea.

Yeah. It allows the blank to be what it is as opposed to whatever color it's painted. The light being able to pass through most of them is really cool. One of the reasons I've always love componentless tortoise shell pens.

jd99

longbeard said:

Thanks. Without the tubes, the clip is mandatory. Your fingers need to touch metal on these, which is hard not to do with such a small package.
Are you sure about this, I make Stylus and Stylus pens, and the ones I use you don't have to have a conductive connection to the tip. my wifes stylus pen was made without a clip because she didn't want one, she just holds on the the acrylic body not touching the tip band and it works fine.

carpblaster

I made one for a young kid at church,small like that with clip,but on the other end i made it kind of round pointed where he could use the harder part point to text message and the stylus for sliding on the screen, no brass all the way thur it just on top

jd99

KenV said:
Ours work without any metal contact with Nook and IPhone.

I'm assuming that's with a brass tube inside? That seems to make all the difference in the body's conductivity.
There's no contact with the brass tube either, my wife holds on to the acrylic body.

Try this drill a hole in a peice of wood press the stylus point into the wood and then try and use it holding the only the wood I bet it works.

sbell111

KenV said:

I'm assuming that's with a brass tube inside? That seems to make all the difference in the body's conductivity.
There's no contact with the brass tube either, my wife holds on to the acrylic body.

Try this drill a hole in a peice of wood press the stylus point into the wood and then try and use it holding the only the wood I bet it works.

I bet that you'd find that you are wrong.

I've made lots of styli. When I started to make them, I fabbed up a few without tubes. They did not work as well as similarly-turned ones that had tubes installed.

I don't pretend to know the science as to why tubes matter even though no metal is actually being touched, but that's the way it is.

jd99

KenV said:

I bet that you'd find that you are wrong.

I've made lots of styli. When I started to make them, I fabbed up a few without tubes. They did not work as well as similarly-turned ones that had tubes installed.

I don't pretend to know the science as to why tubes matter even though no metal is actually being touched, but that's the way it is.
Just tried it here with one of mine, I stuck the thing in a plastic drinking straw, and it worked there is no metal between my fingers and the stylus end and it works.

I don't claim to know why it works either, but it does.
Let me add a disclamer, it works on my android phone, maybe apple is different.

Last edited:
Andrew_K99 said:
Those all look quite nice. Although I don't know if i'd want to write with a stubby stylus as it would be akward, it kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

AK

I figured the same thing when I was thinking of making them, but people love them. They're great for typing, drawing, games....

Last edited:

joefrog

BigShed

longbeard said:

Are you sure about this, I make Stylus and Stylus pens, and the ones I use you don't have to have a conductive connection to the tip. my wifes stylus pen was made without a clip because she didn't want one, she just holds on the the acrylic body not touching the tip band and it works fine.

Would have to agree with above comments, have just made a few stylus pens, some with clips, some without, and all work without touching any metal bits.
They have been tried on Android smart phones, iPhones and iPads and have worked on all of them.

Interestingly, all the feedback favoured the ones with no clips, and the women went for the glitter ones first, the brighter the better.

It is amazing how many women have an iPad or iPhone, usually both.

I like the look of the stubby ones you made.

Would have to agree with above comments, have just made a few stylus pens, some with clips, some without, and all work without touching any metal bits.
They have been tried on Android smart phones, iPhones and iPads and have worked on all of them.

Interestingly, all the feedback favoured the ones with no clips, and the women went for the glitter ones first, the brighter the better.

Did you use the brass tubes?

IPD_Mr

I like the stubby sizes. I got one from Alan Shaw because it fit a lot better in my hand than a store bought one. I am not sure about the size for a phone but it is great for the IPAD.

BigShed

Did you use the brass tubes?

Yes, I did, but I was responding to your statement that the clip is mandatory and you have to touch metal for the tip to work.

longbeard said:

I just confirmed that the tips I have here work without touching any metal, whether that is due to there being a tube inside the acrylic I cannot say.

Last edited:
Yes, I did, but I was responding to your statement that the clip is mandatory and you have to touch metal for the tip to work.

I just confirmed that the tips I have here work without touching any metal, whether that is due to there being a tube inside the acrylic I cannot say.

The most important part of my statement was "without the tubes". With regard to my statement, and the styluses I've shown here, it matters not how a stylus works that's been made with the tube inside.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I think the likely answer here is that is not a matter of if you are touching the metal or not. I think the answer is that having a certain amount of metal in contact with the tip increases the total capacitance of the tip, which is what most of the devices work off.

So it might work fine with no metal other than the tip depending in some conditions (temp, humidity, etc) - but for the best conditions overall having the tube (or clip if no tube) will help it work in more conditions.

(Woohoo... That EE degree actually still pays off now and then!).

MarkD

They look great. I'm not surprised that they are popular for you. I made a bunch of the "bobble" styli for a show and sold them all.
Since your not using a tube with these I'm curious....are you just drilling one the end just enough to press the stylus tip into the blank? If so how are you holding the blank to turn it?

They look great. I'm not surprised that they are popular for you. I made a bunch of the "bobble" styli for a show and sold them all.
Since your not using a tube with these I'm curious....are you just drilling one the end just enough to press the stylus tip into the blank? If so how are you holding the blank to turn it?

Thanks. I only drill one end, and leave about a 1/2"? on the other end. To turn, I just push them onto one of the HF punches, herald in a collet chuck. The punch fits so well, I have to twist as I press, or it traps the air. With that, I just use the tail stock and light cuts.

Crashmph

longbeard said:

If she is touching the centerband, same as touching a clip. The stylus has to have a connection to your skin.

Top Bottom