ss winestoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hosspen

Hosspen

As a fairly new bottlestopper turner after turning pens for 4-5 years I have a question about stainless steel stoppers. I have been using the short cone-shaped stoppers I heard about on here. I think they are very good and like the fact they are made of FDA approved stainless steel. I just heard from a fellow turner that someone told him/her that they "didn't fit any wine bottles he had". I'm wondering if this has been an issue with any of forum members. I figured with the 3 different sized o-rings that they are more or less universal. Please respond if you have experience with this. I'm no wine bottle or stopper expert and am just looking for more information on this matter. I'm sure there are people here who make lots of stoppers and can give some relative input on this. Thank you for any input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Wine bottles are pretty much universal in terms of the opening, even if the shape is very different. Even corks for homemade bottling don't come in many sizes...

SO no, i havent' run across a wine bottle that they did not fit. That, however, does not mean it doesn't happen, but it cannot be a common thing...

avbill

Well I just bought 10 of the smaller wine bottle stoppers from A.S. I just finished the first one last night. Never thought about whether it would fit a wine bottle. --Well I just tested six wine bottles and the smaller stainless steel bottle stopper from A.S.works ! The wine was excellent too!! :D:D:D:D

Bill Daniels

Fred

AVBILL ... Did you test the wine in all six bottles?

I have made several bottle stoppers and have yet to not have one fit well. I recon that there is always going to be some exception though! :confused:

PaulDoug

Can you explain what you mean by, don't fit well? Maybe a picture. I have made lots of stoppers and I've always thought the stopper part didn't go into the bottle far enough which made the stopper to high in proportion to the bottle, but that is the way they fit. I am anxious to try some of the "mini" stopper from AS.

avbill

tested stoppers

To Fred and the rest;

Yes, I did test the bottle stopper in all the different wine bottles. I do have a wine cellar. If I'm not buying wood and pen kits i'm buying wine. I will only use stainless steel stoppers.

Bill Daniels

Fred

Bill ... I was asking if you tested the "wine" in all six bottles. If you did, then maybe that is why they - the stoppers - are not working out for you. :D

Too much wine always made my head hurt way to much the next day so I pretty much figured out real quick that I needed to leave the vino alone.

Now if your name had been Jack then most of us would know about another problem! :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom