Spirit Carving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

I took a carving class today entitled "Spirit Carving". We carved faces in these sample pieces of Poplar. This carving can also be done on a walking stick. The shorter pieces were better suited for a class so we wouldn't whack each other all day!
The two different ones were carved from square stock in previous class by one of our carvers.
Some of these weren't complete when I snapped the pic and will get some more refinement at home.
I was surprised I could even do this but the instructor was excellent!

Attachments

• 60FFF2D9-89E6-4000-AF94-744EC5A89746.jpg
    60FFF2D9-89E6-4000-AF94-744EC5A89746.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 292
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I took a carving class today entitled "Spirit Carving". We carved faces in these sample pieces of Poplar. This carving can also be done on a walking stick. The shorter pieces were better suited for a class so we wouldn't whack each other all day!
The two different ones were carved from square stock in previous class by one of our carvers.
Some of these weren't complete when I snapped the pic and will get some more refinement at home.
I was surprised I could even do this but the instructor was excellent!

I have a wife and son that are JRR Tolkein fans (Lord of the Rings) - they would love this. Very nice.

I love your creativity!

Mr Vic

Always wanted to try those. . . Hmmm , smaller diameter with a brass reinforcement and cast in a clear resin.... Quick patent the idea! Great work... How many Band-Aids?

Talltim

I always wondered how many penturners dabbled in woodcarving as well. It seems like those who like one part of woodworking like it all. I have worked with it a little. Here are a few examples. I went through a cowboy phase. The other is a "pinewood derby" car I did with my son. We called it "granny taking a fast bath." And the final was nature carving i did a while back.

IMG_1503.jpg

6CAA7B0B-CACA-4022-B8EF-FFDCB96A6539.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

Last edited:

Talltim

Hey Charlie.

I probably in retrospect should have posted my carvings elsewhere. Sorry. I was not trying to hijack your thread. Would delete them and do it if I knew how. You did a great job on your spirits. When I did a few walking sticks it was the mouth and eyes that seemed to make it or break it. You did very well.

Cwalker935

I have always been intrigued by those and have wanted to give it a try. Do you have more info about the class or instructor. Thanks for sharing.

Charlie_W

Thanks everyone. First, perhaps I should clarify that only one of these carvings is mine. We remembered take pics after a few folks had left.
These are all in the 1.5" - 2" in diameter.

Now....
Tim, no problem at all with posting your picks here....you did some great carving. Grandma is my favorite!
Mark, I didn't even think about LOTR but...Yeah!
Glenn, Cody, Michael, this group was a subgroup (of Capital Area Woodturners / Alexandria

Instructor was a wonderful senior member named Lin. He turns but is into carving as are a number of the club members.

After initially getting us started, and checking on us, Lin took his seat (as he couldn't stand long)in the rocking chair at a table and then we would come to him as we progressed through the steps. Often we had to wait our turn but he was patient and takes time to not only tell us what to do next but would make a few cuts and explain to each person. This way, he had eyes and hands on each piece several times during the day.

Charlie_W

Here are a couple of pics of my finished Spirit Carving Guy. This is from Poplar which was carved green and now drying. All the carving was hand carved with the exception of a little bit of power/ reciprocating carving.
One coat of Tung Oil Finish was wiped on/wiped off and allowed to dry.
He is 1 5/8" diameter and stands 9" tall.

Attachments

• A0ADAE7F-A5A6-4462-AEC9-848F8E494EA6.jpg
    A0ADAE7F-A5A6-4462-AEC9-848F8E494EA6.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 108
  • FB88EAEF-DE48-445E-877E-923FFF03E47B.jpg
    FB88EAEF-DE48-445E-877E-923FFF03E47B.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 100

dogcatcher

Nice carving.

A suggestion, if you use shorter twigs, and place a hanger in the top, they would make some nice Christmas tree ornaments. Or add a little paint and make some Santa ornaments.

Top Bottom