Spinning Tops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Recently our wood turning club did some demos at the State Fair and Makerfest. Many of us turn tops to give away to the kids that stop and look and its often difficult to keep up with the demand. As I started to look for some new ideas I ran across several sites where many makers are getting spins of 10 or more minutes and a few that are up to 20 minutes. So down this rabbit hole I go with a self imposed target of 5 minutes. Here are my first 4. Starting from left to right, #1 is a simple ebony cylinder about 1.8" in diameter with a 4mm ceramic ball as the point. Record with this one is 2 minutes 20 seconds (all on a concave mirror). #2 is my yin/yang again 1.8" diameter which looked nice but due to the difference in wood densities, maple and ebony, doesn't spin well at all. Very unbalanced and lucky to get 15 seconds. #3 from brass, 1.1" diameter is my best so far with a record of 4 minutes 24 seconds. #4 from bronze 1.8" diameter, was an attempt to get more mass on the bottom. Expecting to beat my goal, the longest spin I could get is 2 minutes 10 seconds. Anyone else do these?
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tops1.JPG
    Tops1.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 433
  • Tops 2.JPG
    Tops 2.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 407
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I've made 30 or 40 of them, all from wood. I make each top from a single piece of wood. Our local club sets a goal each year and we donate the tops to difference children's hospitals during the holidays. Our club goal this year is 1200 Tops.

I understand your attempt at spin times. I don't time mine but there is often a significant difference between tops depending on the design and wood.

Those are very nice tops. Certainly fancier than what I make.

jttheclockman

I do make tops but out of wood. I do things different than most though. being I am a skilled scroller I have done tops with scrollsaw designs. I then make the points and also the handles. I noticed if the handles are too long they will throw center of gravity off. Have not timed them but the do spin well. I have purchased some metal tips to try in the future but have not got around to this. here is one I made some time ago. to show you what I mean.

May have to try spinning a metal one or two. Should be fun. Always up for a challenge.

By the way nice work with yours and it leaves so many possibilities open. Thanks for showing.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Have never made one and am a lousy physicist , but would expect adding additional mass as close to the spin axis as possible on #3 would be your best bet for longer spin times .
Thanks. What little info there is out there says the more mass towards the center gives a faster spin, but larger perimeter gives longer spins in theory. Then friction plays a role in spin times with perhaps bigger in diameter could slow it down. One even suggested dimples on the outside like golf balls. Many things to try.

Curly

I watched a symposium demo by Mike Hosaluk where he took a top, wound a string on it and tossed it to the floor. Then while it was spinning turned and finished another like it from scratch before the spinning one stopped.

Have you thought of getting some Tungsten to make your next top from? :biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Top Bottom