Spalted Norfolk Island Pine Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

I found this tree on the verge, ready to go to the tip, and my mate George told me to bury some of it to make it spalt. We have lots of termites/white ants here so I wasn't game to leave it too long. 6 months later I dug it up and this is the result.
I'm pretty happy with the pattern and it's three eyes.
The vase is 11 1/2 inches tall and 5 1/2 inches diameter top and bottom, it is not hollowed in the bulb.
Sanded to 400, then sealed and sanded again, then finished with WOP.
Thanks for looking and I hope you like it.
C & C Welcome.

Bob:)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 193
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
very nice Bob... I have a small log I bought at my local lumber importer about 3 or 4 years ago... can't decide what I want to do with it... mine has eyes all around the log.... it's been sitting in my shop next to the work bench since I bought it.

robutacion

G'day Bob,

It had plenty of time to get spalted if it wanted to do so but, it didn't do what I was expecting and I can't tell you why. I've seen That sort of wood to spalt almost to a dark blue colour/stain in a few short months, I hope that some day, you can get some of it that will spalt or come to you already spalted, either way but I know which way you would prefer better, huh...?

It still turned out OK, the spalting is not heavy but the shape and finish make's it look quite posh...!:wink:

Cheers
George

eranox

Aw, jeez. Now I'm going to get myself in trouble for burying logs in the backyard. Thanks a lot, Bob! :tongue:

That's a beautiful vase. I like the amount of spalting that it features. To me, too much and it detracts from the shape and craftsmanship. Nicely done!

Bob Wemm

Aw, jeez. Now I'm going to get myself in trouble for burying logs in the backyard. Thanks a lot, Bob! :tongue:

That's a beautiful vase. I like the amount of spalting that it features. To me, too much and it detracts from the shape and craftsmanship. Nicely done!

Hey Dave, you are very welcome Mate.
I hope the punishment will not be too severe.:biggrin:
Just trying to help.:tongue:

Bob:)

Top Bottom