Spalted maple end table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Doghouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghouse

This is my first end table. I made a couple of mistakes, but all in all it came out ok for the first one.
388599324_256c4242bd_o.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Same here! I like the taper to the legs. I think that's more sophisticated than I would have done on my first attempt!

Doghouse

Dave, That is from the maple. I turned the oven into a kiln for a couple of days, cannot wait for that electrical bill, and kept flipping the boards so they would not curl that much. Jointed and planed, then baked them for another couple of days. Jointed the edge and matched the grain on the top then glued and baked for another day. I had to have something to move the aero-garden to while we were away.

I dove tailed the apron into the legs, but made a little mistake with the orientation, the R/F and L/R tapers go the wrong way. (oops)
I am not sold on the top, I think I should have rounded the corners more and beveled the edge deeper. I may just make another top....

First I have to make the cradle for Mike & Amy, then turn their wedding presents. I also have to get another desk built. Not that the honeydo list is getting a little long.

Woodnknots

Man that spalted way more than I thought. Did the spalting show up in alot of it, or was it limited? I didn't really notice it in the stuff I have upstairs, but I was really only focused on stacking it. Were you able to see the extent of the spalting before you surfaced it?

Doghouse

If it looks even slightly dirty, it was not dirt. Spalted completely. Mind you the top is 1/2" from 5/4 so it was the more central less spalted heart of the board. Not quite powder sugar, but I would definately have the wood stickered. I am re-stacking/stickering everything as it is still 6-8 mths from what I would condider dry. I think the sides on the coop prevented enough air flow accross the stack.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />If it looks even slightly dirty, it was not dirt. Spalted completely. Mind you the top is 1/2" from 5/4 so it was the more central less spalted heart of the board. Not quite powder sugar, but I would definately have the wood stickered. I am re-stacking/stickering everything as it is still 6-8 mths from what I would condider dry. I think the sides on the coop prevented enough air flow accross the stack.
Yeah, it's all stickered with two fans blowing on it 24/7. I would expect to be able to use some of it later in the summer, perhaps before I deploy to Bahrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom