Spalted bowl with lid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Made from spalted river birch and finished with wipe on poly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Beautiful piece of wood.

Simple but effective form/shape, I know when it comes to hollowing some people like to stop in the "safe" zone (thickness) but I believe, you could have went a lot further, if you have the right tools and the nerve for it.

Spalted woods untreated are generally quite soft to turn and thinned walled pieces are very difficult to obtain but when the wood can be stabilised, you can go as far as you want, considering that you have the tools and the skill to it.

I'm trying to give you constructive criticism and I'm willing to talk to you a little further if you feel that you could get some advice on achieving thin wall hollowings.

However, if is the pic that is giving me the illusion of thick wall (belly), I apologise for my observations...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

SteveAxelrod

Lovely form and beautiful wood. I don't subscribe to the philosophy that the thinner the wall the better. I like a bowl that feels like it's made from good solid wood. What's important to me is shape, form and even wall thickness. The wall thickness is personal taste.

Lovely form and beautiful wood. I don't subscribe to the philosophy that the thinner the wall the better. I like a bowl that feels like it's made from good solid wood. What's important to me is shape, form and even wall thickness. The wall thickness is personal taste.

My sentiments exactly... I leave most of my bowls with about 1/4-5/8" walls and sometimes a little heavier in the bottom...I've never had a customer tell me they preferred the walls thinner.

I once read a statement from another turner, I think it was Bill Grumbine, who said, "turn a bowl as thin in the walls as you can, get it out of your system and then turn practical bowls."

It looks to me that he's undercut the lip towards the belly some... at any rate that is a beautiful wood and really nicely done bowl.

Last edited:
Top Bottom