Something new-money clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is something new I wanted to try. I hate carrying a wallet and have been using a redneck money clip (rubber band!) for a while. I decided I needed to move up in the world to hold my $5 bill! I looked at the money clip kit available at CSUSA but did not like how big it is and do not like brass. I went looking for other kits on the net and did not find anything but I did find a company that does photos and logos under a resin. I contacted them and they told me they could sell me the bare clip without any embellishments. These have a really cool mechanism that works very well and they are nickle plated instead of brass or gold. The cost was right, too, at $5 each plus $2.95 shipping.

I took a piece of one of my "Original Cactus Blank"™ knife scales and mounted it to a waste block on the lathe and turned to the right diameter. Then sanded and finished with CA.

What do you think?

attachment.php

Attachments

• money clip.jpg
    money clip.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,445

phillywood

Curtis, thanks for this design. Mine is made of leather and is tearing up. I am ready to replace mine.
Design looks very nice and creative. Can you make me one with burgendy color in it and email me to send you the money, please. Or, if you are not up to it. I'll wait to learn from you when I get my lathe. I have lost my money by carring it singly in my pocket and find out later when it was gone.
Very unusual design.

Last edited:

jusjoe

Curtis, please add me to your list. I, too carry a money clip. The design is simple and thats what I like and can be personalized to my style.

Thanks for the view.

Parson

Curtis, could you take more pictures of your credit card without the clip on it? I can't read the numbers :)

BTW, great looking clip. I enjoy my money clip, but don't use it much because I travel and clips are a pain in the airport security line.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would agree with Andrew, Curtis!!!

Buy a gross (they will be happy to discount for larger numbers) and sell them in 5-10 units at the price that your supplier would sell 5-10. Everybody comes out ahead.

If its REAL successful, let me know and I will give you a source I used a long time ago---great pricing, long wait for inventory. But, it was a NICE mechanism---chrome only.

phillywood

:biggrin::biggrin:Do we have to move this thread to Marketing now????:biggrin::biggrin:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Ed, you're gonna be moved yourslef to marketing and be marketed. heheheheh. :biggrin::eek::party: stop using the words that provoks debates. my fingers are falling off trying to prove the truth.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
You gonna have to recruit an IAP attorny soon. heheheheh. I wonder if the cap part would defend you or the other portion of his pen? and he has to be wood not casted to be original.:eek::eek::eek:.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Phillip,

Yes, I will make you one. Better yet, we can plan a Saturday where you can come up and I will make it while you watch. Then we can turn a pen and you can take the lathe I am going to let you borrow.

THarvey

Curtis, would you have time to make me one? seriously! I'll pay for the clip and the whole thing?

Phillip,

Yes, I will make you one. Better yet, we can plan a Saturday where you can come up and I will make it while you watch. Then we can turn a pen and you can take the lathe I am going to let you borrow.

DANG!!!!!!!!!! I need a neighbor like Curtis.

I would leave tire tracks if I lived close and had an invite like that. :biggrin:

{day dreaming} A Saturday in the shop with the MesquiteMan...Oh, what lessons I could learn. :rolleyes:

PenMan1

I would be interested in your source, or getting them directly from you. These look better than ANY of the others I have tried. I'd also like to find a good quality "book marker", too.

el_d

Very Nice Curtis, I would love to make a few of those. I would be interested in the supplier also. Unless you decide to sell them.....

I know you have a larger wad-o-cash than that guy. My wad-o-cash could be held in a paperclip, But I still love the idea.

phillywood

DANG!!!!!!!!!! I need a neighbor like Curtis.

I would leave tire tracks if I lived close and had an invite like that. :biggrin:

{day dreaming} A Saturday in the shop with the MesquiteMan...Oh, what lessons I could learn. :rolleyes:

Tim, behave, that's why we are Texans. We have hearts bigger than the TX itself and yes some say that we hang around all day and shoot the breeze and eat BBQ. Plus being good at making pens too.
pay attn to my signature, I wasn't just advertising you know. It's the fact they say about us.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

phillywood

Phillip,

that's nice of youjust let me know which Sat. thanks again.
And, for you, other guys we are going to pick some nopailtos (edible cacti), too. :tongue::party: and the BBQ. and of course chop one of Curtis's many mesquites. :bananen_smilies039:

Mark

Curtis, Please add me to the list. I'd be interested in the supplier or directly from you if it goes that way.

Maybe make me one with the embellishments in the pic..$5 + S&H. What a bargain... :biggrin::biggrin:

THarvey

Tim, behave, that's why we are Texans. We have hearts bigger than the TX itself and yes some say that we hang around all day and shoot the breeze and eat BBQ. Plus being good at making pens too.
pay attn to my signature, I wasn't just advertising you know. It's the fact they say about us.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm just saying, I wish Curtis lived closer to me (or me to him). If he told me to "plan a Saturday" I would immediately ask "How's tomorrow."

I bet I could learn a lot working a day in his shop, with him.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Tim,

You are too kind with the flattery! Hop in your car and drive on over! Or better yet, hop on a plane and I will even pick you up at the airport and find a place for you to stay!

THarvey

Careful. I may take you up on that.

I will start a list of the things I want to learn. :biggrin: Hope you're a patient teacher. I'm an accountant, not a carpenter.

Seriously, If I see a chance that I am any where in the area, I'll be giving you a call.

Tim,

You are too kind with the flattery! Hop in your car and drive on over! Or better yet, hop on a plane and I will even pick you up at the airport and find a place for you to stay!

phillywood

Careful. I may take you up on that.

I will start a list of the things I want to learn. :biggrin: Hope you're a patient teacher. I'm an accountant, not a carpenter.

Seriously, If I see a chance that I am any where in the area, I'll be giving you a call.

Dang, now I have to compete with you. but, let me tell you he got the patience and he is a very good teacher. I had chance to watch him teach and he blew up a bowl blank that he went little too thin, but he managed to save it nicely and that alone taught me a lesson in patience. he, is truly blessed with his talent as a general contractor advocating green building and his artistic pen turning and man he got heart as big as God knows. and, yes he got a dog very cute and well behaved.
Now, for the rest of his qualities you have to just come to his shop and see for yourselves. And, he keeps us in line too.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom