Something New....For Me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Earlier this year, I signed up for a workshop class with Nick Agar and Jacques Vessery at Arrowmont.....Class was full but was on a waiting list.
I got a call one day...someone had cancelled and I had the opportunity to take the class....which I jumped on.
This workshop was with both Nick and Jacques together for 2 weeks!
Four of us from one club were signed up, carpooled and took all the tools that would fit in our vehicles.

The class was on surface embellishments which included different forms of texturing, carving, air brushing, pyrography, torching, paints, dyes, etc!
Let me tell you...I was not sure this class was for me as I was stepping out of my comfort zone! Well.....I had a ball! We all had a ball!
15 turners in the class from all over the states and Puerto Rico. Such a wonderful time getting to know other turners and seeing all their talents all under one roof.
The instructor's assistant was Jim Scarsella. A fantastic turner and embellisher!
Three professionals for two whole weeks!

The weekend in the middle of the two week span was 4th of July weekend. Wifey came down for a visit and got a taste of Arrowmont and all it has to offer. We also caught the 4th of July parade there in Gatlinburg which starts on the first minute of the 4th....12:01am...midnight! Loads of fun! The parade was still going on at 1:15 when we pooped out!

Anyway....We all did some turnings which became our palates on which to learn new embellishment techniques.
Here are some pics! Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_4100.jpg
    IMG_4100.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4101.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_4103.jpg
    IMG_4103.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

BEAUTIFUL WORK THERE CHARLIE.

I simple LOVE that large 'leaf' vase in picture #1. All the work looks great but that vase is beyond words in my opinion.

Keep going........there is so much more you can do now that you have the skills.

Mr Vic

Great work. Our AAW Chapter had an all day demo from Nick in August. He's an awesome turner and does some beautiful work. And funny as all get out. Lucky you.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Thank you everyone for the likes and comments!
I am new to this embellishing and have a long way to go...but am having fun!

Wayne, my leaf vase pales big time in comparison to the one Jacques made as he was demonstrating!

Vic, last year, I was able to catch a 2 day workshop with Nick.....I knew I wanted more!

While there, I carved and finished a piece which looks like a piece of stone.

I also turned a small bowl from a piece of mango. It looked nice but the round and brown couldn't hold a stick to the new embellished items we turned and finished.

One of the guys brought some wood from Texas. I made a tool handle from this Osage Orange.

Attachments

• IMG_4005.jpg
    IMG_4005.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4002.jpg
    IMG_4002.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 129
Top Bottom