Something a Little Different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

While using spheres and eggs as a palette, I hit these with some surface embellishment!
Enjoy!

Attachments

• CC4B330D-D1B8-407C-8161-BC6A967FD0CA.jpg
    CC4B330D-D1B8-407C-8161-BC6A967FD0CA.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 258
  • 6AE1F8E1-267F-49E3-BB46-D96E02E7F2BF.jpg
    6AE1F8E1-267F-49E3-BB46-D96E02E7F2BF.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 175
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great Charlie! I have been contemplating charcoaling/burning the wood on bowls and I know that some have done it. That is how you did that, didn't you?

Looks great!

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Thanks Woodchipper, Hank!
Hank, I expected you to recognize this Shou Sugi Ban technique!
Yes, torched to "alligator skin" texture. These were maple and cherry....the smaller egg is pine as you might gather from the grain. It is interesting to see the different appearance between end grain, face grain and edge grain. If the piece should have a crack or void, it becomes a feature.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks Woodchipper, Hank!
Hank, I expected you to recognize this Shou Sugi Ban technique!
Yes, torched to "alligator skin" texture. These were maple and cherry....the smaller egg is pine as you might gather from the grain. It is interesting to see the different appearance between end grain, face grain and edge grain. If the piece should have a crack or void, it becomes a feature.

Believe it or not, as many times as I saw old shou sugi ban homes and small buildings over 26 years there, I never knew what it was called until 3 or 4 years ago. I worked with lots of blue collar workers and white collar workers and educated ones too, but only on occasion with woodworkers. I asked on occasion why some of the old homes were black or dark brown and never got an answer, just a shrug. When I needed to know about specialty wood, speciality treatments or specialty tools that I think of as common tools, I had to go to a woodworker.

Their sho sugi ban wood on most old homes were not charred that much, just barely on the surface with the color of the wood showing through. It looked much more like a dark stain than charring.

Top Bottom