Some Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bananajeep

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananajeep

The first stopper was made for my Woodturners club (Nor-Cal Woodturners) "President's Challenge". The Challenge: Make a bottle stopper. There were some fantastic stoppers made for this challenge. The grapes are Purpleheart and the leaf and vines are copper sheet and wire.

The second is a set made for a X-mas exchange. It was nice to see a handcrafted gift so well received at the party. I borrowed the idea from some other great ideas I have seen here. The wood I thought was Juniper, but it does not have the orange color I would have expected. The pieces were taken from a part of the log that was starting to spalt.
The finish is CA on both.

Thanks

Mike

2006122120259_PurpleHrtGrapeStopper.jpg

2006122120336_UnkwnWood1StopperPenSet.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Mike. Some really great designs. The grapes are amazing. Nice Pen stopper. Very orginal. Thanks for the inspiring work.

Fangar

DocStram

Ho-hum ... like I always say, "You see one bottlestopper you've seem them all." Except in this case! That has to be the most incredible bs I have ever laid my eyes on. Great work!

BigRob777

Original designs, all (to my limited knowledge). Nice work. I'm afraid that my clumsy hands would break that stopper. That pen is awesome. I had no idea that jumiper could be so attractive (if it is Juniper). I wonder how it would turn out, if you made a Jupiter stopper, ring and all.[:D] I'd definitely break that, or my wife would.
Rob

bananajeep

Thanks for the kind words. The Grape stopper was an original design that developed as I went along. The grapes really were easy to do. Turned from pen blanks and since grapes are not perfect spheres i just had to get close. I think I will be doing a series of these this next year.

The stopper and pen set was not my idea. I found this online and copied it. I thought I found it on the IAP site, but could not locate it again.

20061222173618_Buckeye_Burl_Pen_Stopper_Set_web.jpg

I wish I could remember where I saw this, so I can give proper credit.

I added a wine journal to the set like Bruce Fifer (fiferb)did with the wonderful sets he has made and posted here.

I found out where the photo and idea came from (http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Bottle_Stoppers.htm)
Buckeye burl stopper and "Stopper" platinum Patriot pen
Made & photographed by Ed Davidson

Thanks Ed for the idea I hope you don't mind me using it

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mike

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Skye,

Again HF is a great source. A full selection of O-rings in a plastic box is under $10 on the "every-six-weeks-sale-cycle". After you find the right size, from the above selection, buy as many as you need at hardware or on-line.

bananajeep

Skye, These were size #8 and #9 I don't remember the diameter of the rubber. I bought these as individual o-rings (pricey at 0.60 ea). I would definitely look into a HF set that would give you many options (and spares).

Mike

Skye

Gotcha guys. I got mine off ebay for dirt cheap. Like $5 shipped for 25. I'll check out HF thought...

Milpaul

Ho-hum ... like I always say, "You see one bottlestopper you've seem them all." Except in this case!

I agree with DocStram - grape stopper is excellent, especially since purleheart is not the easiest to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom