Some Spectraply Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I haven't posted anything in a long while because my wife has been dealing with some health issues and I hardly had any shop time at all last year. She is doing better and getting accustomed to her treatment regimen, so my turning & IAP participation is also beginning to return to normal.

I've taken advantage of some of Cousineau's recent sales and stocked up on a variety of Spectraply blanks. I really enjoy making bottle stoppers from this stuff.

After sanding these to 600 grit & burnishing with shavings, I gave them a coat of sanding sealer followed by a coat of friction polish and 2 coats of glossy spray lacquer, then topped off with Ren Wax.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Those are beautiful. My blind turners wanted to make some spectraply stoppers but all I had were pen blanks. I took two pen blanks that were just alike and cut them in half then glued them together, with each at right angles to it's neighbors to make a 1.5x2.5" stopper blank. (Striped side next to solid side on each face of the blank) When turned, they made some really interesting patterns. I've made screwdriver handles the same way.

This is the only one I have, not a good photo, but it shows how I glued the blanks.

1_stopper2.jpg

Last edited:
Edgar,
I like your stoppers... I bought a box of 42 blanks from Cousineau last year and made them all up in stoppers... they get the most attention in my booth of all the stoppers... I carried about 80 stoppers for a while, but am down to about half now... those look great.

Sharon, great idea on the spectraply pen blanks... I use slabs of spectraply from their pepper mill blanks with other woods and make some great looking mills... haven't thought about gluing up pen blanks to make stoppers -- great idea and great looking stopper.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Those are beautiful. My blind turners wanted to make some spectraply stoppers but all I had were pen blanks. I took two pen blanks that were just alike and cut them in half then glued them together, with each at right angles to it's neighbors to make a 1.5x2.5" stopper blank. (Striped side next to solid side on each face of the blank) When turned, they made some really interesting patterns. I've made screwdriver handles the same way.

This is the only one I have, not a good photo, but it shows how I glued the blanks.

1_stopper2.jpg

Thanks Sharon - great job on that glue up.

If you will PM me your address, I'll be glad to send you a few 1.5x1.5 Spectraply spindles for your blind turners.

Edgar

Top Bottom