Some kind of oak bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

Finished the bowl from the wood that I was trying to identify yesterday. This piece of wood has been laying outside for about a year. It had started spalting and the white looking spots may be where the fungi was penetrating deeper into the wood. I tried something different when finishing this bowl by experimenting with slurry sanding using BLO on my 150 grit sanding pass. I then sanded to 600 and finished the bowl with Howard's Feed and Wax. The bowl has an aged look, I am not sure if this is from the spalting, the BLO, or some combination. The bowl is 12 inches in diameter anf 5 inches tall. One checking crack filled with CA and sanding dust.

oak bowl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Nicely shaped and finished, mate, congrats...!

You have also went quite thin for such a tall bowl, the grains and colours are very interesting, shame about the crack, its seems to be always something to spoil a perfect job, huh...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

The coloring seems off for what I thought it was, but I've done several bowls from a tree that I thought was a white oak (also called a champion oak) that had the white spots and spalting similar... not usually quite so reddish in color tough... that may be a product of the BLO though... I usually finish with polyurethane. Don't worry about the crack, I've had people grab oak bowls that had several cracks and not give them a second though.... Either way, that's a nice looking bowl.

SDB777

Those rays emanating from the pith are indicative with White Oak, but I have seen some on Red/Pin/Water oaks too....regardless, I believe it's a winner!!

Scott (looking good) B

Top Bottom