So I'm just starting Bottle Stoppers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

These are actually pretty fun. Trying to figure out how I want to shape them is even more fun. So here are the only 3 I've done so far. From 1st to 3rd. Lol

Attachments

• 1 Zebrawood 01 11 19.jpg
    1 Zebrawood 01 11 19.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 2 1 Wood unknown 01 12 19.jpg
    2 1 Wood unknown 01 12 19.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 3 Zebra2 01 19 19.jpg
    3 Zebra2 01 19 19.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Those look real nice, Bobby. Bottle stoppers are lots of fun - they show off a lot of the blank & shapes are limitless.

One thing I like to do is to drill a recess hole about 1/8" deep with a 7/8" forstner bit (or whatever size matches the stopper) before drilling & tapping for the stopper. I find this gives a nice transition between blank & stopper & avoids having to perfectly square the bottom of the blank.

bsshog40

Those look real nice, Bobby. Bottle stoppers are lots of fun - they show off a lot of the blank & shapes are limitless.

One thing I like to do is to drill a recess hole about 1/8" deep with a 7/8" forstner bit (or whatever size matches the stopper) before drilling & tapping for the stopper. I find this gives a nice transition between blank & stopper & avoids having to perfectly square the bottom of the blank.
Yea Edgar, I plan on trying out recessing them. I have one kit which is a combo stopper and corkscrew, so I'm trying to figure out how to recess that one for sure. But you are right, I think the recess will look much better!

monophoto

Like Edgar,I also prefer to have a recess in the bottom of my stoppers. There are two ways to achieve that. One is to use a forstner bit to drill a shallow mortise in the blank, before drilling the hole that is threaded for mounting on the mandrel. But I prefer another approach - I mount the blank in a chuck to drill that hole on the lathe, but first I use a gouge to carve out the mortise. Unlike the forstner bit approach, a mortise created this way has curved sides. I think it looks better.

sbwertz

Ones shaped like a gear shift knob are popular...especially if you have a laser burner and can put a shift pattern on the top. I have some one inch maple disks I burn a shift pattern on. Then while the stopper is still in the lathe, sanded but not finished, I use a forstner bit to make a recess for the maple disks with the shift pattern burned into it. Then I finish the whole thing.

Top Bottom