Small burl bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rossvh

rossvh

A friend gave me several small burls (pic 1) and wanted to know if I could do anything with them. I haven't turned many bowls (mostly pens) - let alone a piece like that - but I gave it a try today. Thank goodness for CA or the thing would never have made it.

For all you real bowl turners out - what do you think?

RossVH

Attachments

• Unkown Burl.jpg
    Unkown Burl.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 344
  • Burl bowl 1.jpg
    Burl bowl 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 402
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Ross...Awesome bowl! Nice shape and near perfect finish, especially since it was your first bowl! What kind of wood was the burl from and what size did the bowl turn to? Again, very, very nice turning! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you always!

rossvh

Ross...Awesome bowl! Nice shape and near perfect finish, especially since it was your first bowl! What kind of wood was the burl from and what size did the bowl turn to? Again, very, very nice turning! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you always!
I'm not sure exactly what kind of wood it is. The friend cut it up and used it for firewood. Cotton pickin'!!!! He thought it was red oak.

Jgrden

Okay, I'll bite. What did you use to give it a gloss? How durable is it to use. Can it b e used as a cereal bowl. Mixing bowl. Decorative bowl. Change dish?

rossvh

Okay, I'll bite. What did you use to give it a gloss? How durable is it to use. Can it b e used as a cereal bowl. Mixing bowl. Decorative bowl. Change dish?
Since I'm primarily a pen turner and the bowl was rather small (change dish size makes sense), I used 4 coats of medium CA and polished with HUT.

Jgrden

Since I'm primarily a pen turner and the bowl was rather small (change dish size makes sense), I used 4 coats of medium CA and polished with HUT.

Wonderful and thank you. I am not a bowl turner but got the itch when I saw yours. Now I am going to give it a try.

stuckinohio

It looks great! I have been playing with bowls lately, as well as taking a class on bowl turning. I find it very hard to get right!

rossvh

Wonderful and thank you. I am not a bowl turner but got the itch when I saw yours. Now I am going to give it a try.
Good luck. I think you'll find it to be as "intoxicating" as pen turning - just slightly more intuitive.

Top Bottom