Slabs, it's what I do!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

longbeard

Scott, when you say "slice it in half", do you mean slice it from top to botom in half or as it sits in the pic, from side to side?

Harry

SDB777

Scott, when you say "slice it in half", do you mean slice it from top to botom in half or as it sits in the pic, from side to side?

Harry

Down through the pith(preferably getting rid of it at the same time:wink:)...no sense in making 'cookies' out of it!

Scott (I got a big saw) B

SDB777

Yup....feeling old would be an understatement for today!
Sort of glad my next cutting job fell through(tree was really small anyway, not really worth the trouble of cutting it). The tree was supposed to be 12+" in diameter, it might have been 3"(hate when people do that!!!!) Slept until 6:00am(that's a pretty big thing for me...normally up at 3:30am everyday)! Coffee was really good with Aleve too.....

Had a few issues that I am not sure how to 'fix', or even if there is a fix for it? Seems milling with chainsaws in a still wind day with high humidity doesn't allow enough cooling for the saw. And before anyone asks, the saws were cleaned and drawing air in through the cover and blowing out the other side, and the saws were also allowed to idle for a period of time to further cool.
But......big BUT.

After the saw idled for awhile, I popped a fuel cap off to re-fill....had a 'fountain' of gas-mix blow out through the hole! Never seen fuel 'boil'(think a pot of boiling water)?!?!?!? Even the 30W bar oil I was using was bubbling somewhat.
The odd thing....the outer 'body' of the saw was just warm to the touch. Not burning hot. This was with both my saws, the Stihl 064 and the Jonesred 2094 Turbo.

The logs were shorter then expected.(7ft instead of 9ft)
The diameter was smaller then I was told.(20-23in instead of 30+in)
The tree was definitely very dead, not 'green'.(dead for two years, very hard and dry)

Was a nice place to do some timber milling.....lakefront property, no mud, and interesting people(seems once folks find out chainsaw milling is happening, crowds form).

Here are the logs:

One of my 'rigs'(Stihl064):

A five inch thick slab I lifted onto another log, using gravity to mill is awesome:

Close-up of the grain(wedge is 2-1/2 inches wide-for ratio):

The rest of the logs will be loaded onto a trailer and brought to my bandsaw mill for further 'milling' once it dries a little more. The cuts will be a LOT better, and the quality will probably be a bit more pleasing.

Scott (felt weird being the 'show') B

designer

I just found this thread and was as absolutely amazed as I was the first time I "saw" this done on a black walnut tree that was around 100 years old. I was in my mid 20's and helping the guy wore me down and all I did was minor compared to what he was doing.

You sure make this look easy. My hat is off to you and the work you do. I just hope the bald spot does not blind you in the process.

Nice work and now time for me to eat and take a nap after watching YOU work.

SDB777

When it turns into 'work', I'll probably not do it as much....after all, 'work' is a four letter word!

Scott (it's not that hard) B

SDB777

I think I'll go find something to slice up today? Haven't done anything but work and cut grass for awhile....I know, sounds like a silly thing to do!

Thinking today I'll make some passes with the LT10 on a chunk of compression/burl-ish piece of Southern Red Oak{Quercus falcata} with some mineral staining! I'll be keeping those mini-slabs, drying them out, and using them on the RingMaster for some 'different' bowls.

Of course, I might happen to take a photo or seven at some point......

Scott (fun milling in the humidity) B

Hendu3270

Sounds interesting Scott. Look forward to seeing that oak. Wish you lived in this area, as I'd like to see this stuff in action.

SDB777

Everything set-up and ready. Have to hold these smaller chunks in an improvised 'jig'....probably not the safest method of clamping the pieces down, but I take it slow and let the blade do all the work.

Here is one of the 'chunks' I got out of this mornings FUN! It is approximately 2"T x 10"L x 11"W, just too much happening in this one to give it a 'name tag'...it pretty much has everything in it!

Here is another 'pair' of 3/4"T chunks, I'm guessing the curlie-Q stuff going on in these pieces are going to make something interesting for someone....or maybe I'll just cut these into pen blanks later? I dunno yet!

And the last piece of 'eye-candy'....for this update! This one is 1-1/2"T x 10"L x 11-1/4"W.....was thinking bottle stopper blanks soon......maybe?

Hope you enjoy these as much as I enjoy making them!

Scott (eye-candy is fun too) B

Bob Wemm

Hi Scott,
Listen here MATE, that stuff is just not FAIR.
That is a magic piece of wood, in fact the whole lot is absolutely beautiful.
Thanks for showing.

Bob (DROOLING).

SDB777

I have two trailer loads of logs coming in tomorrow, I'll do my best with the Weekend Special stuff....I hope? But two trailers worth of logs on a manual mill....jeez!

First trailer is supposed to be some ERC logs that will be looking like 2x4's and 1xwhatevers, at whatever length they show up as.
Second trailer is supposed to be Ash, not sure what I'm cutting that up to be yet.

Guess I'll find that out tomorrow...and then Sunday I have to go inspect 40 American Sweetgum and a field full of ERC, cut down keep the ERC and a few of the bigger A.Sweetgum crotches and compression stuff. Sounds like a really 'full weekend'! And I already mowed two lawns and did some fun stuff!!!

Scott (yes, I'll photo some stuff) B

SDB777

Scott (yes, I'll photo some stuff) B

Ha ha, was about to say that!

Say no more....

While waiting, I decided to mill a few 'chunks' of Southern Red Oak that were 'laying around'. Milled these two pieces into 3/4", 1", 1-1/2", and 2"...sort of 'something-for-everyone' from pen blanks to game call sized stuff. And they are saaawwwweeeeeeetttttt!!!

Candy????? for the eyes!!!!

Scott (super millin' tomorrow) B

SDB777

After going to the south side of Cabot, and looking over some timber. Figured it was time to make some sawdust....yup, everything was right where I left it.

The half Green Ash log was not on the bunk of the mill, so I guessed that was as good of a place to start as any! Think it would have been easier 'lifting' the whole log, half logs don't roll well......and the Green Ash timber is really hard!

Love this sawmill! Those chunks sitting on the 4x6 bunk material?? Yup, 2-1/2" thick Green Ash slabs, the 'stickers' and some 1x5 lumber! Fun stuff, by the way....Green Ash is really hard!!!

Another view of the 'junk'!!!

Happy Father's Day milling!!!! Whew, I'm whooped for this weekend....

Scott (enjoy the photo's too) B

Hendu3270

Some more beautiful wood Scott. I'm like a little, "wide-eyed" kid looking at the each picture you post man. Always impressed with what you and that machine do.

SDB777

As promised, I went to cut some timber this morning. It was a nice morning, little on the humid side but 'do-able'....
Cut about 25 trees(mostly American Sweetgum for the buttlogs), including a few White Sassfrass trees and some Black Cherry trees. Didn't really want the Black Cherry, but after a bit of weed clearing, I scored this! Burl, I took a quick 'peek' with the chainsaw, but I am thinking the whole piece is going to have some nice 'stuff' going on inside. Also, grabbed a big crotch piece from the stump of one of the Black Cherry trees.

Got home and put all the saws away, and rolled another piece of Green Ash onto the bunk....yup, I think it'll fit? It did....it was all cut into either 1" thickness or 2-1/4" thick slabs.

My view from the 'working end' of the sawmill....

Time to clean up, heard some thunder in the distance(sounded like a good excuse).

I'll start tomorrow morning on the Eastern Red Cedar dimensional lumber milling, not looking forward to sucking ERC dust in the heat, but it will get done. The Green Ash will get picked up in the morning....until next time.

By the way, if y'all are getting bored with seeing this stuff, let me know and I'll post less of it.....

Scott (it's fun millin' like a villian) B

SDB777

Outstanding! But 35% humidity is not considered humidity Scott...:biggrin:

I wish...this morning it was thick enough to cut with a knife. Just before I started cutting, I looked at WunderGround App thing, it was showing 77%. I'm sure as the temperature went up and the air was able to hold more moisture the humidity lowered....a LOT! But then it was just hot....

Scott (I was making humidity too....sweat) B

Hendu3270

Outstanding! But 35% humidity is not considered humidity Scott...:biggrin:

I wish...this morning it was thick enough to cut with a knife. Just before I started cutting, I looked at WunderGround App thing, it was showing 77%. I'm sure as the temperature went up and the air was able to hold more moisture the humidity lowered....a LOT! But then it was just hot....

Scott (I was making humidity too....sweat) B

Ahh, just bustin' your chops.

duncsuss

Scott, is that some kind of ivy growing up the side of the cherry trunk?

I haven't lived in America long enough to recognize the difference between what my wife calls "poison ivy" and the stuff that's benign ... hope that what I see there is not the type they make into a Batman villainess :eek:

SDB777

Scott, is that some kind of ivy growing up the side of the cherry trunk?

I haven't lived in America long enough to recognize the difference between what my wife calls "poison ivy" and the stuff that's benign ... hope that what I see there is not the type they make into a Batman villainess :eek:

It isn't making me itch...so I geussing I'm good? Not sure what kind it is though....don't remember seeing 'the-leaves-of-three-leave-them-be' vine....

Scott (rhyme I remember) B

SDB777

Getting tired of seeing this yet?

Didn't fire the mill up until 8am, was already up to 78*F, and it was only going to get warmer. Put a small log(the're all small) on the bunk and figured 'what the hey'....clicky!

By the time it got to 91*F, I had had about enough for the day. According to my math, okay I have an APP for the phone that spits out Doyle Scale for me....I had put 221bft through the uprights. I know it doesn't sound like much, but this is making dimensional lumber on a manual mill.....it's a pretty decent amount on timber(especially since it's all small timber).

Not quite done on this customers' load yet, but I guess I'd rather do quality over speedy crap work. And the sweat was pouring out of me today!!!

By the way, I still have plenty more to mill! And this photo(below), doesn't include the stuff that followed me home the other day! And the Ash...it was picked up this morning by a very happy fella!!

Silly photo warning....

Thanks for looking, wish I had time to finish....

Scott (dog watched me for awhile) B

Haynie

Drag it all over here. We are at 8% humidity and 94. I have a shop big enough to handle it, a swamp cooler, and an empty studio apartment you can use. Just don't say anything about the slabs that seem to just disappear.:biggrin:

SDB777

Drag it all over here. We are at 8% humidity and 94. I have a shop big enough to handle it, a swamp cooler, and an empty studio apartment you can use. Just don't say anything about the slabs that seem to just disappear.:biggrin:

I can hear timber cracking at that kind of humidity levels!!
By the way, I can cut it faster then you can use it.....:eek: Even if a few pieces a day go 'missing'!

Scott (think my wife just said "NO!") B

SDB777

This is it!

At 331 board feet, I'm finished...the one's still remaining on the trailer are 'bad' in one way or the other, and just not worthy of the band.

Even took a moment to make a few bowl blanks!

Too bad these are already spoken for!!

Scott (it's time to relax, and then go to work tomorrow) B

SDB777

By the way, I sliced this one up yesterday.
A little disappointed by the 'eyes', not really a pile of them in any of the pieces? Not sure why, but it'll end up making a BUNCH of pen blanks! I was thinking about whole slabs from this 33"L x 17"D chunk, but.....nah.

Anyway, this thread is boring without a photo!

Humidity kicked my butt after mowing the grass yesterday....think I'll take Lyn fly-fishing tomorrow? I'm sure she'll put up a big fight about having to go fishing(okay sarcasm isn't working here at all...).

Scott (I get a day off) B

SDB777

Getting tired of seeing this yet?

Bring 'em on!!

Man that cedar looks amazing. Bet it smelled nice while milling that.

Eastern Red Cedar dust isn't a very healthy thing.....it's classified as a 'irritant' on the wood toxicity chart. >>>>> The Chart <<<<<
Please, if you haven't seen this link to the chart....you should go there and save the link to your favorite link list(I have no affiliation with the linked website-just want to share information).

I have noticed the biggest 'downside' to having a wood fence, is the lack of airflow while milling. And more so now that I have the umbrella mounted on the mill! I need more water on the timber while milling in hopes of reducing the amount of 'floating dust'(from all types of timbers). Guess you can call me 'overly cautious'...part of getting older!

On a side note! Had a visitor today, one of the IAP Arkansas Chapter members came by and scored some huge bowl blanks, and some Black Cherry burl slabs! Didn't do any milling today...just some trimming and AnchorSealing.

Did I mention? I really like visitors!!!

Scott (his trunk wasn't empty when he left) B

Hendu3270

didn't know it was an irritant. Thanks. I've turned a couple of small items but with the DC on. I can imagine it could be really problematic for you and the mill.

SDB777

didn't know it was an irritant. Thanks. I've turned a couple of small items but with the DC on. I can imagine it could be really problematic for you and the mill.

Water, water, and a bunch of water. Found this to be the best way, after all....I'm using water on the band already for cooling and keeping the kerf clean.

But that is a mighty fine idea.....I'll ask the wife if I can enclose the entire backyard, and put a DC system in....and maybe A/C too:wink:
It's not gonna happen.....but I can dream for just a moment.

Scott (ERC is purty though) B

SDB777

Scored some more burls this week at work! One White Oak burl that is actually solid for a change(normally the ants find them before I get to grab them)...it measures about 28" across and is about 10-14" tall. Think I'll just slice it into .6" thick piece and clamp them down to dry for RingMaster bowls....

Also scored a Black Cherry burl, although not as big...it sure looks gnarly! But then again, the last one 'looked' pretty saweet, but was criticized by a 'group'......{they have been weighed and found wanting}. Hate to say it, but I probably won't do any pen blanks with it.....

I'll get some photo's of these before, during and after milling them and let y'all see some roadside 'trimming'! I hope I can get through the list of things to do and get to these tomorrow?!?!?!

Scott (promise photo's though) B

SDB777

As promised, I snapped off a photo of each chunk sitting in the garage next to my lathe(should have opened the door to get some natural light in, but nah....

The first one is the Cherry burl.

Next is a 'stack-of-burl', the Cherry on the top and the Oak on the bottom.

And the last piece is the other half of the Oak burl, although the more I look at it, the harder it is to call it a burl...even though it is shaped on the outside as a burl-it's more of a bulge? No 'eyes' are currently visible....but I am seeing some really interesting grain structure that should make for a bunch of awesome RingMaster bowls!!!

As y'all can see, the Cherry is gnarly! Not sure I even want to cut it until I have 'studied' it a bit more....or maybe I'll get rid of it whole?
I'll try to remember to carry the camera to the mill....stay tuned!

Scott (gnarly equals saweet) B

SDB777

Thanks Warren!

BTW, here is a piece of sweetness from the mill today!

This is a bowl blank I made from the Oak burl(technically, it was a Southern Red Oak)! Guess sooner or later I'll get it put on the website.....maybe, maybe not? I'm thinking this would make a really nice bowl for my craft table.........

Scott (and I mowed the lawn too) B

SDB777

And I thought I would toss this photo into the mix too......

For the RingMaster to eat!

That's right these were actually what I was after while cutting this burl up. RingMaster bowl blanks for me and the wife to make later. These are only about 5/8" thick...which after planed will make for some wide mouthed bowls.

Scott (gonna be sweet bowls) B

Bob Wemm

Ya got it all wrong Scott,
That blank just will not be suitable for your craft table..
It has Australia written all over it.

Man, I love this thread also.

Cheers,
Bob.:wink::wink::wink:

Thanks Warren!

BTW, here is a piece of sweetness from the mill today!

This is a bowl blank I made from the Oak burl(technically, it was a Southern Red Oak)! Guess sooner or later I'll get it put on the website.....maybe, maybe not? I'm thinking this would make a really nice bowl for my craft table.........

Scott (and I mowed the lawn too) B

Top Bottom