Simple stopper with coin inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dmadis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmadis

Simple shaped stopper (it's too cold out there for fancy shapes.) Walnut with a gold plated Texas commem. quarter inlaid in top.
stop1.jpg

stop2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Darrell,
Nice work. I have one made from manzanita burl, but it is just a plain state quarter. It isn't set in yet, as I don't know who will buy it yet.

Mikey,
Wow, what a great idea. I do stoppers too and never considered that. I even have a tap and die set.

Rob

Mikey

Big Rob, dang, I knew I should have patented that idea.[:(!]

I think that would be really cool to have a car with a nice shift knob made up with some favorite emblem imbedded in resin or a state quarter of where you live or your birthplace.

aksarben

I did a number of stoppers for Christmas this year with quarter inlays.

They were very popular with folks.

I like to Walnut nice color. Did you use a forstner bit to drill the hole of did you us a turning tool to make it?

I tried the tool at first and found it too much trouble and bought the bit.

Scott

Thumbs,
From what I have read in my research, all gear shifts are NOT a standard size.. I've had a number of people come by my booth and ask if I do gear shift knobs... haven't tried any yet.
I did read something somewhere on the web... can't begin to find it again... that you could just make sure you use a good hard wood and drill slightly smaller than the shaft and just screw the knob on...

Darrell.
didn't mean to hi-jack your thread... I like the bottle stopper. I like simple and the coin is a perfect fit. Good Job.

I can't tell how tall it is.. that is problem I have with many of my stoppers.. I tend to make them tall and my customers all tell me they won't fit in the 'fridge.... though why you would put a bottle of wine in the 'fridge is beyond me... probably because I don't really like the whites and rose's that need to be chilled.

dmadis

I like to Walnut nice color. Did you use a forstner bit to drill the hole of did you us a turning tool to make it?

I used an ordinary 1/4 inch wood chisel used like a scraper, sharpened in the usual way (I guess). Works very easily and quickly, you push it in and across to the center, it's easy to get the bottom of the hole flat. I recently made some confetti lights with the hole about an inch deep--works for that too.

melogic

Like you Scott, I use a forstner bit at the very beginning and then turn the stopper to the hole. After I finish the stopper, I then CA glue the quarter in and then put a poly resin coat over the quarter.

Nice bottle stopper Darrell. Simple and very nice. [:)]

Originally posted by aksarben
<br />I did a number of stoppers for Christmas this year with quarter inlays.

They were very popular with folks.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom