Simple but suited gift, I hope...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi peoples,

A few weeks back, the husband of a good friend of ours, has unexpectedly died at the age of 46.

This was a strong, healthy and very tough 6'.3 bloke that worked with heavy trucks and equipment, owning his own business.

He hasn't been in a doctor's clinic for years, it was just no reason we all thought.

He married our friend 7 years ago, he had 3 boys and our friend had 2 girls so, a fair size family in our days but, they were all doing OK.

Fishing was one of his hobbies so, wife and kids spend many ours in the cost line fishing with their quite nice 21' boat.

Well, one Sunday he started to have chest pains/contractions, he said that it was simply muscle pain from had work he had done all weekend but the wife manage to convince to go to the hospital to have it checked out so she took him to the closest hospital.

While there, they run every test they could think and found nothing so, they sent him home. He went working all week and as far as we know, he did not complain of any more chest pains on that working week so, the next Saturday he was doing some work around their large new property they had just bought 8 months prior and by the end of the day, he started to have those same chest pains he felt the Sunday before so, the wife took him to the same hospital only 25 minutes drive (Victor Harbour).

Well, he had a turn to the worse while there and they called a helicopter to take him to the main hospital on Adelaide 85km away, where it had the best doctors and equipment a hospital can have.

They worked on him on arrival but by the next morning, he was pronounced dead.:frown::eek:

What a shock to everyone and a great mystery also because there were no family known events from this side of the family and that was one of the things that still puzzle me and many others but, I can also say that, I have seen this exact same thing happening to very healthy people that I knew, unnecessary would be to say that, it hit me hard.

I though in making something as a gift to my friend now a widow, one simple thought stuck in my mind as to what to make and give her, as I saw the cabinet she has decorated with photographs of the dead husband and family.

There is one particular large picture of Anthon (deceased) at the top centre of the cabinet with a small candle holder in front of it, I thought it needed something more added to it so, I turned 2 of the most simple candle holder I recall ever make but, there would be a "twist" to it and that was that, I was going to make them out of one of my latest wood finds, show on IAP and called, Tree of Heaven.

The 2 candle holders will be presented to our friend tomorrow afternoon, I hope she likes their simplicity, the wood I made them with and my sentiment behind the gesture.

What a reality check this has been to me/us, we are totally powerless and small creatures in the complexity of life and the living on this Hearth, live everyday if is your last because one day, it will be...!

Attached a few pics of these candle holders, some blue stains have formed in some parts of the wood that never seen before, the wood was saturated with water and I thing that may be causing it, hope not all wood gets that stain...!

Thank you for reading...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 231
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skeleton2014

George,
Sorry about your friend. Always a shock when someone that young passes especially, with no apparent past illness. The candle holders are beautiful. I always think simple is the way to go with wood so it doesn't distract from the grain's natural beauty.
Jeff

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sorry for the loss of your friend, George. Very nice job on those candle holders. I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom