Shaving brushes - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 12

The butterscotch resin is very cool! Nice looking brush!
TimS124 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
Thanks I am a brush shaver already myself However my preference is the shaving cream from the art of shaving over soap I've not tried enough soaps probably though
You have done well so far to avoid getting SAD (Soap Addictive Disorder), wherein you end up with several lifetimes' worth of "samples". I like Kell's Original, but have just started making my own.

To get back to the point, are any special tools needed to turn brushes like these? I'm pretty new to this lathe stuff.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Fry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
Thanks I am a brush shaver already myself However my preference is the shaving cream from the art of shaving over soap I've not tried enough soaps probably though
You have done well so far to avoid getting SAD (Soap Addictive Disorder), wherein you end up with several lifetimes' worth of "samples". I like Kell's Original, but have just started making my own.

To get back to the point, are any special tools needed to turn brushes like these? I'm pretty new to this lathe stuff.
not really. I use a chuck to hold mine but you could do them as spindles and just cut off the one end and finish it.
CrimsonKeel is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Fry View Post
I have purchased a bottle stopper mandrel from Ruth Niles and that is a good way to turn most of the handle between centers and then at the end clean up the bottom of the handle without the tail stock support. The mandrel will hold the piece fairly securely without the tail stock. However, the size of the mandrel does not allow for some designs of the top part of the handle because it is difficult to get a tool in the very top part of the work. I have also used a drill chuck in the head stock holding a smaller mandrel that allows me to come in with a gouge or other tool very close to where the knot opening will be and shape it as I like. I do not yet have a scroll chuck, but that could be used in conjunction with some sort of double sided adhesive tape or hot glue and a waste wood block. I am sure there are other ways I can't think of right now.

Wherever you go - there you are.
vferdman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 45

Looks good. I enjoy making these. The world of wet shaving is pretty wild. I've met alot of interesting people through it.

Check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/KYLOGJAMMIN/
EBorraga is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I get a few order to supply blanks for these shaving kits, some from stabilized wood that I always recommend for these types of wet use accessories, some blanks cast (Resifills) and often, they want the matching blanks to turn the soap dish/bowl, also, many possibilities here...!

However, when I saw your brush, I remembered of a Sweden fellow that wanted me to make a few bases for the brushes, out of true Aussie woods.

The interesting thing was that, he sent me professional drawings of the base and mention that, the design was from a very famous brand. He also mentions that, the dimensions of the base were specific to a famous brand of of "knots" I call them hair heads, these one he purchased were made of some specific animal, I believe.

Anyway, I'm not into that category of items so, I know nothing about brands, sizes, and anything related to the old art of shaving but, I had specific drawings and that I can read.

I took some pics of them when I finish spraying so, I will attached to the post however, they are not intended to compare or anything like that, maybe another design possibility, is good enough for me but I still thing that full acrylic made pieces for these kits, are better than wood for durability...!

*- #14 She/Bull-Oak

*- #47 Stone Acacia

*- #17 Silver Wattle

*- Pic of the branded one he wanted to copy (shape)

Cheers
George
Attached Thumbnails
101_0445_-1-.jpg   101_0444_-1-.jpg   101_0443_-1-.jpg   image.jpeg  

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

The high end brushes are made with badger hair. There are various grades of badger hair and knots differ greatly in size and shape. Some folks prefer smaller brushes, some large and everything in between. the Edwin Jagger brush is very nice shape and your copies are very lovely. The wood is okay to use since most people into wet shaving really take good care of the equipment and dry the brushes well after use. The hair wicks the moisture from inside the hole. there are many factory made wooden handles, but most of them are some sort of plastic or resin. Stabilized wood is very nice, but not necessary, IMO. As long as there is a good water proof finish, the handle should hold up to many years of use.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferdman View Post
The high end brushes are made with badger hair. There are various grades of badger hair and knots differ greatly in size and shape. Some folks prefer smaller brushes, some large and everything in between. the Edwin Jagger brush is very nice shape and your copies are very lovely. The wood is okay to use since most people into wet shaving really take good care of the equipment and dry the brushes well after use. The hair wicks the moisture from inside the hole. there are many factory made wooden handles, but most of them are some sort of plastic or resin. Stabilized wood is very nice, but not necessary, IMO. As long as there is a good water proof finish, the handle should hold up to many years of use.

Thanks for posting the pictures!
Thanks for your words and thank you for not seeing my pics as a comparison to your work, that was not my intent...!

Like in so many other "things" in life, never stops to amaze me how some people that a "random" item or "use" and make it a passion. hobby, business and or everything in between. There seems to be always so much more than what meet the eye, even in the most simplest of the thing in our everyday lives, fascinating stuff...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

I am all for people making their own brushes if they can and so desire. It's not about that. I combine turning with knowledge and experience with shaving brushes because I use them myself and have been for a while. I thought I can produce a very nice brush with what I know and skills I have. So far I have been receiving good feedback, so people like my creations. I put my heart into the work and try to make a tool for luxurious experience. If others wish to make the same thing I don't mind and don't see it as a threat. I am also learning to turn mostly because of the brushes, not making brushes because I know how to turn. The shaving brushes inspired me to become a turner. I am still learning to turn, but I do know what a good shaving brush is.

Thanks for posting your pictures. It's all good.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #30 (permalink)

I have created another LARGE brush. This one is truly large. The knot is 30mm and the rest of the handle is nice and large. I modeled it after "Emperor" or M6 style handles, but way bigger. Those with large hands and craving a large knot in a brush will be delighted. The wood is amazingly beautiful. Pictures do not do it justice. I took some pictures of this brush together with some other well-known brush to represent the scale. This brush is LARGE and beautiful.

Brush Dimensions (approximate):

Total height: 128mm
Handle: 73mm
Loft: 55mm
Knot: 30mm Bulb shape

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads