Shaving brushes - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernclay View Post
Is anyone making the soap dish for these as well? Just seems like a nice matching soap dish would be great. I am thinking about making a set for myself soon.
A soap bowl or just a lathering bowl would be awesome. Lots of fancy and expensive shaving soaps come in lathe-turned wooden bowls, and those are beautiful, but kind of inadequate for anything other than making the soap look good on the shelf. A really useful soap bowl would be about 5" in diameter and fairly cylindrical in shape. I am not up to making bowls yet. Still learning to turn spindles, but when I start on the bowls, a shaving soap bowl will be one of the first projects I do. I have many soaps that I keep in either tins or plastic tubs and they would all be better stored and used in a bowl with a lid.

Wherever you go - there you are.
vferdman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I think a resin or really dense wood bowl would be awesome. Truestone would be really nice but cost would be pretty rough. I used to use a coffee mug but with nice materials seems like all matching would be a sweet set.

You'll be able to do a bowl in no time at all.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
I think a resin or really dense wood bowl would be awesome. Truestone would be really nice but cost would be pretty rough. I used to use a coffee mug but with nice materials seems like all matching would be a sweet set.

You'll be able to do a bowl in no time at all.
I am hoping to try a bowl soon, but I am concentrating my efforts on spindles because of my brushes and the pens are really digging into me now also :) I have not even taken the bowl gouge that came with my tool set out of the box yet. I am using the roughing gouge, spindle gouge that I re-ground to a fingernail shape, a skew and a parting tool. So far no scrapers and no bowl gouges. But I am getting there.

I agree, a resin or worthless wood bowl would be excellent for soap. I need to think of a good mold for that kind of blank. As I said, I would like my soap bowl to be around 5" in diameter. Based on my experience that size really allows the brush to move around well and pick up soap efficiently off the puck.

Back burner for now, but will happen, I am sure.

Wherever you go - there you are.
vferdman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferdman View Post

I agree, a resin or worthless wood bowl would be excellent for soap. I need to think of a good mold for that kind of blank. As I said, I would like my soap bowl to be around 5" in diameter. Based on my experience that size really allows the brush to move around well and pick up soap efficiently off the puck.

There's this from a while back, by Jonathon Brooks. The soap dish is at the end of the series of pics, I didn't want to just repost the soap dish pic, lest somebody think I was claiming it as my own...

Finally finished up my Christmas turnings! PIC HEAVY
Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 235

Quote:
Is anyone making the soap dish for these as well? Just seems like a nice matching soap dish would be great. I am thinking about making a set for myself soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock me View Post
Quote:

There's this from a while back, by Jonathon Brooks. The soap dish is at the end of the series of pics, I didn't want to just repost the soap dish pic, lest somebody think I was claiming it as my own...

Finally finished up my Christmas turnings! PIC HEAVY
Greg ya beat me to it! Thanks for posting the link.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks803 View Post
Greg ya beat me to it! Thanks for posting the link.
I remembered those pics from almost three years back b/c

1. Unless I'm mistaken, those are Ion Storm blanks, one of my all time favorite blanks. The patterns on the soap dish are fantastic.

2. The soap dish itself is WAY cool. I wish my own non-penturning lathe skills were up to that kind of work.

And because I can't stand thread hijackers, let me say I LOVE the OP's brush!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratz View Post
What are you guys using for razors? I've been looking for a good double edge safety razor kit, but there don't look to be many out there....

Here's a redwood burl set I recently put together:

I am sorry, I just wrote the previous response and then realized you are asking about the kit to make a DE with turned wood. Sorry about that. Your burl set looks awesome. I saw some kits for the DE handles for three piece razors. The handles are pretty standard on most three piece razors and so you can turn a handle and use it with your EJ or Merkur or whatever. Look here to see what I am talking about.
I wonder what marine sealant he's using on those wood brushes.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

I actually finish the brushes with a rattle can spray on gloss finish, only been using mine for a few months, so only time will tell how it holds up.
gratz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

How large do you make your handles? I've made one and plan on making a few more with some castings i have done. I just made the first one to fit my hand and i was wondering if there is a set size that is the norm give or take a few MM.

Great color on that handle too.

Also what do you use to glue your knots in?
CrimsonKeel is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamag8or View Post

I wonder what marine sealant he's using on those wood brushes.
Bob is a member here and goes by Eskimo. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in.

Great job on the brushes.
Logged on members can hide ads