Shaving brushes - Page 11 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #101 (permalink)

Location: Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States of America
Photos: 36

Beautiful. I also love Bethlehem Olive Wood.
oneleggimp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #102 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I have created another large brush with a very interesting resin. I call it Tigris Sparkle. The knot on this one is slightly smaller than on the Ivory and Horn, but is still a large brush.

Brush Dimensions (approximate):

Total height: 116mm
Handle height: 64mm
Loft height: 52mm
Knot: 29mm Bulb shape

Wherever you go - there you are.
vferdman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #103 (permalink)

I have created two new brushes using exotic woods sealed with CA (super glue) inside and out. Both brushes are very similar, use the same TGN finest knot, but set ever so slightly differently in terms of knot/loft dimensions. Both knots exhibit all the signs of gel tips, but it's hard to tell without using them. Test lathers with Stirling soap felt extremely soft to my hand.

The first one is inspired by M7 shape and is turned out of African Blackwood. This wood is amazingly beautiful and dark. Pictures do not show the grain very well, but it is there and shows up under direct light. Grain is very tight, almost resin-like.

Total height: 105mm
Handle: 56mm
Loft: 49mm
Knot: 25mm bulb shape

The second brush is inspired by the SOC Two Band that I like so much. This one has a reminiscent shape, though I try hard to not make exact copies of my favorite brush handles. The knot is set at a slightly higher 50mm and tighter opening of 24mm than the previous brush. This is not exactly the dimensions of the SOC two band, but I felt it was close and in the same spirit of a longer, more pliable feel to the brush like the SOC. Katalox wood in this brush is reddish and shows lots more grain than the blackwood. It is very beautiful and dense, providing good heft to the handle.

Total height: 106mm
Handle: 56mm
Loft: 50mm
Knot: 24mm bulb shape

Advertisement
Old 04-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #104 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Vladimir, I think you shaving brushes are outstanding.

I would like to add some brushes to my repitoir, but I have a couple of questions about the shape. Mainly with regards to hanging stands, and if there is a standard handle dimension toallow the brush to hang.

I have seen stands where the the end of the handle rests on the stands support. This would mean that the knot would have to be smaller than the hanger support. However, I noticed with your brushes, that there is a wide range in knot sizes.

Since many people already have stands, is it better to turn one notch or grooved area of the handle to a set size? If so, what would be a good width, and how far should this "groove" be from the tip of the knot.

I have two stands here, but they are not quality brush stands and they both vary in measurements. I've tried researching, but get somewhat confusing results.

Yor custom brushes are some of the best I have seen, and I would appreciate any advice you could pass on to me.

Thanks
darrin1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin1200 View Post
Vladimir, I think you shaving brushes are outstanding.

I would like to add some brushes to my repitoir, but I have a couple of questions about the shape. Mainly with regards to hanging stands, and if there is a standard handle dimension toallow the brush to hang.

I have seen stands where the the end of the handle rests on the stands support. This would mean that the knot would have to be smaller than the hanger support. However, I noticed with your brushes, that there is a wide range in knot sizes.

Since many people already have stands, is it better to turn one notch or grooved area of the handle to a set size? If so, what would be a good width, and how far should this "groove" be from the tip of the knot.

I have two stands here, but they are not quality brush stands and they both vary in measurements. I've tried researching, but get somewhat confusing results.

Yor custom brushes are some of the best I have seen, and I would appreciate any advice you could pass on to me.

Thanks
Darrin, thanks for your kind words. I never think about brush stands when making brushes. I think brush stands are unnecessary and if one is desired, then it should be made to the brush, not the other way around. However, if you have a stand you really love and want a brush for it, then it is definitely possible to create a groove or cove in the handle for it. Just measure the stand and let me know what the dimension is. I can create a handle with a cove to accommodate the stand.

I personally do not use a brush stand and I have close to a dozen brushes in my personal rotation. I just built a small shelf for them and they are very well displayed there. I also like to dry them with hair facing up. To me it's a better way as the wicking action helps them dry. Water evaporates up and I think if the brush is hanging upside down it only takes longer to dry. In any case, I am not aware of any standard for shaving brush stands and certainly there is a large variety of knot size preferences to have such a standard, so I say pick a brush you like according to what you like in a brush (some people like large brushes, some like small and everything in between) and then just make a stand for it or a wall bracket or just a small shelf. Heck, we are all woodworkers here, right? Easy to do.

Best regards,

--
Vladimir

Old 04-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #106 (permalink)

Photos: 17

Thanks Vladimir

I guess I need to pay a little more attention I just looked at your brushes again and realized that they all have a flat end. Now I know why and it makes perfect sense.

I actually think they look better with a flat on the end of the handle anyway.

Once again, your work is amazing.
darrin1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #107 (permalink)

I have made a new brush by custom order. this one is from Dymondwood in "Tortoise" pattern. Finish is multiple coats of CA polished to a glass-like shine.

Dimensions:

Total height: 113mm
Handle height: 62mm
Loft height: 51mm
Knot: 28mm

Pre-bloom pictures:

Post-bloom pictures:

Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #108 (permalink)

I got another custom order for a "Chubby 1+" with TGN two band finest. This one is more in the Chubby 2 dimensions. I used Dymondwood in French Green and a top coat of CA (multiple coats actually) polished to high gloss.

Approximate dimensions:

Total height: 97mm
Handle Height: 47mm
Loft height: 50mm
Knot: 28mm

Old 05-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #109 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Hi vferdmam

Those are very nice shaving brushes.
Where abouts are you in Western MA?
Are you a Mad Max fan?

Richard
Rchan63 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchan63 View Post
Hi vferdmam

Those are very nice shaving brushes.
Where abouts are you in Western MA?
Are you a Mad Max fan?

Richard

Richard, I am near Amherst. I am not a particular fan of Mad Max, but I did enjoy the original movie with Mel Gibson. I was very young when I saw it on big screen in the 80s.

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads