Shaving Brush

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

I love making these! Pens are great and my coworkers love them, and I have several blanks in different stages waiting for their turn on the lathe, but I have a lot more freedom with the shape when making a brush. I made the blank with Silmar 41 and colored it with 3 mica powders - Violet, Silk Merlot, and an unknown which is probably some flavor of bronze. The reason the color is unknown is because I bought 20 colors of mica from a lady on ebay and she was kind enough to label only 2 of them. Since I bought several golds, coppers, and bronzes I have no idea what color I actually used. How do you get repeat customers if they don't know what colors they want to reorder? Anyhow the knot is a 24mm two band finest badger. The stand was made by my older brother who sent it to me about two weeks ago.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

Nice job casting, coloring and turning! I just began tinkering with casting (did you see my post about casting sweet gum pods?) and one incentive is to be able to make blanks for shaving brush handles. I just bought bottles of black, white, red, blue, and yellow Alumilite dye to play with. I'm guessing I can mix the primary colors to make other colors. Throw in a full complement of Pearlex colors and the challenge will be to decide what colors to use!

Thanks guys!

Nice job casting, coloring and turning! I just began tinkering with casting (did you see my post about casting sweet gum pods?) and one incentive is to be able to make blanks for shaving brush handles. I just bought bottles of black, white, red, blue, and yellow Alumilite dye to play with. I'm guessing I can mix the primary colors to make other colors. Throw in a full complement of Pearlex colors and the challenge will be to decide what colors to use!

Yes, that blank is very cool looking. I'm going to try some pine cones when they come in and after seeing yours I definitely want to try some sweet gum pods. As for dye and mica powder, if you use opaque dyes the mica tends to lose its pearlescent effect. Transparent dyes work better if mixing the two together in the same cup imo. If you're just blending them in the mold then opaque dyes are fine.

Charlie_W

Superb job on the brush! The colors are great.
I just want to hold it in my hand, look at the colors in the sunshine and rub the brush across my cheek!
Keeep up the great work on these brushes!

Thanks guys. I had a friend from the cigar shop see it on my FB page. I haven't used it and he asked if he could buy it, so this is the first shaving brush I've ever sold.

Lucky2

Jay, could you post a couple of pictures of the stand your bother made for you? I would like to see what it looks like, it's hard to make out in the pictures provided.
Len

Top Bottom