Shaker Table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was digging around and thought I might post this table I made a few years back. It's a two drawer Shaker table. It's made with cherry and flame birch.
IMG_0521.jpg

The drawer fronts are actually book matched crotch cherry.
IMG_0512.jpg

What is interesting about this table is that it's one of my first with turned legs. I also turned the drawer pulls and used a split wedge on the inside of the drawer to hold the pull in place, no hardware. Actually the only hardware in the whole work are only 4 #8 Robertson screws holding the top on with wood buttons.
IMG_0526.jpg

The finish is about 4 coats of Watco natural Danish oil and furniture wax.

IMG_0535.jpg

I like the combined look of the figured birch and the cherry, the crotch figure on the drawer faces have aged well and really look great today.
IMG_0532.jpg

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by jeffj13
<br />Jim,

Beautiful work. The flame birch top is something.

The dovetails look hand cut, are they?

jeff

Thanks Jeff,

The dove tails are hand cut, you can see one errant saw kerf near the top on one of the tails...

Nothing saws hand made like a DT with tool marks eh![:)]

Originally posted by bob393
<br />Now thats a figured wood!!!!!! Super job.

Thank Bob, the top looks like water to my eyes, my daughter says when she touches it she has to dry her hands...A sweet child..

[:)]

It's going to be her's one day, I am just borrowing it till then....a long time I hope.

Originally posted by johnnycnc
<br />Fantastic looking work,
very beautiful![:)]
Did I see this on the ?(Woodworking video channel)?

Hi John,

Yes you did see it there. I have been to that site once and saw it, I sent it into woodworking at home a few years ago, I guess they liked it too!

[:D]

Dario

Jim,

Great piece! I love the fact that you kept the hardware to minimum (almost none).

Wonderful wood selection...I am sure it will be treasured for generations. [^]

Thanks Guy's..

[:)]

I appreciate all the kind thoughts...I was hoping to show how the lathe can be for more that Just Pen making[:0]

Anyway, furniture making is my passion....and I have been inspired by people in the past who share, I was hoping to meet some furniture makers here too...

I love all designs and aspects of Shaker myself. This past summer I was able to travel to Kentucky and I spent a day at Plesant Hill Shaker village...it was totally inspiring!

I also like Greene and Greene designs and I make my own styles of furniture as well.

Thanks again for your thoughts..[:)]

GBusardo

Jim, Again I am at a loss of words. Excellant work!! One of the reasons I got into pen turning is to be able to use some beautiful wood and a low cost. Crafting a table like that (if I could afford the wood) is in my dreams [:D]

csb333

I can only say Holy S---!!!! That is excellent. I too thought immediately of David Marks who I had the pleasure of meeting once. That is superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom