Seven More Boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DLGunn

Good looking boxes. If I may offer a tip, make your starting cut for the drawer with the grain. Go horizontal instead of vertical like you did on these. It makes the cut kerf less noticeable.

W.Y.

Good looking boxes. If I may offer a tip, make your starting cut for the drawer with the grain. Go horizontal instead of vertical like you did on these. It makes the cut kerf less noticeable.

I understand what you mean . I do that on some designs. Those patterns are from the Lois Ventura book . She is a pro designer and builder of boxes . That is a part of her design . I have only made a few hundred boxes myself . Some from her design as I made these seven very basic ones (quick sellers) and others from my own design.
The picture on the front cover of her books shows the entry same as mine. I have also made quite a few of that particular design .

https://www.amazon.ca/Building-Beautiful-Boxes-Your-Band/dp/162654946X

kentonjm

Nice boxes William.

I just finished finishing 6 band saw boxes of various designs. Just the buffing and flocking to do.

I always like the end result and the construction is relatively simple but the sanding OMG the sanding! Have you by any chance figured any good processes to minimize the pain?

W.Y.

Nice boxes William.

I just finished finishing 6 band saw boxes of various designs. Just the buffing and flocking to do.

I always like the end result and the construction is relatively simple but the sanding OMG the sanding! Have you by any chance figured any good processes to minimize the pain?

If you are using a 3/16" x 10 tpi blade , the insides of the boxes will not need sanding at all if you put flocking in them .
As for the rest , I use both the belt and the oscillating spindle sander which leaves minimal hand sanding to do .
I made that batch all in one day (apart from the glue up of the blocks previously ) and followed up with the drawer flocking a couple days later.

Would love to see pictures of the ones you made .

Last edited:

kentonjm

If you are using a 3/16" x 10 tpi blade , the insides of the boxes will not need sanding at all if you put flocking in them .
As for the rest , I use both the belt and the oscillating spindle sander which leaves minimal hand sanding to do .
I made that batch all in one day (apart from the glue up of the blocks previously ) and followed up with the drawer flocking a couple days later.

Would love to see pictures of the ones you made .

Thats pretty much the way I go as well. I do like to round over the edges of the drawers and openings. I do this on the router table but then I have to either palm sand or hand sand to get everything clean. The big open curves are fine but its all the little corners that get you. I am thinking that next time I will use some designs that do not have tight spots and small inside curves, then it would pretty much be just the belt sander and OSS.

They should be dry from their last coat of DO so will go check and take a pic. No flocking or wax yet so you will have to see them naked!!! :eek:

kentonjm

Here they are.

Attachments

• 2016-11-22 13.jpg
    2016-11-22 13.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 231

W.Y.

Here they are.

Thanks Jon.
Real nice work .
Great choice of woods .
I have made lots with higher priced and exotic woods mostly for sales where I expected them to go and went for a higher price as well as in galleries .
The ones I posted in this thread are pine that I got for next to nothing and are targeted for a couple up coming craft sales in small villages where I know the better ones would not sell . They are just my lowest price fast sellers at 35 and 40 dollars each .

Last edited:
Top Bottom