Secret compartment key rings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thewishman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paintspill

can't give you a whole lot of detail but some of the manufacturers make a toothpick holder. very similar to this, I made one for Christmas and liked it very much. worth a search.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Some use "chrome" tubes, others use normal brass color.

I always prefer the silver color---seems to me they look cleaner and if you are actually using them for toothpicks, looks less "gunky".

FWIW,
Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bushings don't make a lot of difference on these, Chris.

The hardware of most styles is rounded, so the material (acrylic) can meet it nearly anywhere and look finished.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I've got a special material that I want to use - it comes in 1/2" and 5/8". Would the 1/2" size be big enough?

You could masks a plain 7mm keychain kit from that material, but neither are large enough to drill the 9/16" hole required for the hidden compartment kits.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The one I am looking at is:

OD of tube is .380"

Kit hardware is designed for .5" OD finished product.

NOT carved in granite, but that would me my "aim for" dimension.

thewishman

I've got a special material that I want to use - it comes in 1/2" and 5/8". Would the 1/2" size be big enough?

You could masks a plain 7mm keychain kit from that material, but neither are large enough to drill the 9/16" hole required for the hidden compartment kits.

The one I'm looking at uses a 10mm bit.

Mr. Brown, EB doesn't list a drill bit, is this item in your stock also from PSI?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well Chris,

It looks like the same item that PSI sells--the dimensions are the same. But, no, I did not purchase these from PSI.

I've made a boatload of these, and have only had one issue. Be careful where you buy them from, cause not everyone includes the o-ring. PSI does. I believe it was WoodTurningz where I got a bunch on sale, that didn't have the o-rings. Even had the same item number as PSI. Without the o-ring, they can easily unscrew, and leave the owner with nothing but a ring and a cap. That's realy not good when some keep a $20 in there.

Thinking about making some key rings and the PSI kits look good. Secret Compartment Chrome Keychain Kit at Penn State Industries

Is this a good-quality product?

About what size are the bushings?

Any other comparable kits you would recommend?

I carry one daily as a pill holder.... I turned mine from deer antler over a chrome tube... it's pretty sturdy, looks good and gets compliments on my key ring... I've also made the "secret" knife in the keyring.. they're pretty nice too, but TSA seems to frown on them....

nava1uni

There are 3 different Secret compartment key holder. I is called a Pill Case and it is the one that uses the 9/16 bit. The other, sold by PSI, uses a 10mm drill bit, Rockler's uses an 11mm drill bit. CSUSA also sell both the pill and the secret compartment. They hold up well. I have made them from all 3 of those sellers listed and have not had anyway complain or bring it back.

toolcrazy

I've made Pill holders, secret compartment and the whistles with secret compartment. Pill holders and the whistles sell the best and the the secret compartments. Haven't had a complaint, yet.

Top Bottom