Second try at Pepper mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished this one tonight... it's the Crush/Grind style offered by CSUSA. I think this is actually a little easier to put together.. the center shaft is adjustable to fit any size up to about a 10" peppermill.
This is from a limb off the big elm tree I had cut in October.
200612281327_Elm%20Peppermill.jpg

The only thing about this is the top seems a little loose fitting since there isn't a tenon fitting down into the body. I think on future mills, I'm going to modify the cap so there will be a tenon.. I think everyone would prefer a tighter fit on the cap.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Chuck,

Looks good. Does that mechanism turn? What do you think of the pepper? (I have not yet seen it in action, so these are DUMB questions)

Thanks for smart answers!!
[:D][:D]

Yes, the mechanism turns just like the normal mills... the shaft is a pentagon shap that fits into a fitting in the cap that turnes the ceramic grinder... I haven't added pepper to this one to try it yet, but is has an adjustment at the bottom of the mill that will vary the grind.. biggest problem I see is the looseness of the feel of the top.. it's self centering, so may have something to do with it. Bassically, I like the kit.

The catalog descriptions says "an innovative grinding mechanism that has redefined pepper, salt and spice grinding" .. I guess that means it will do salt, but the shaft is aluminum... the directions says you can cut with hacksaw to any length.. I cut partway and then used a large pair of wire cutters to finish the cut, then polished the burrs off on a belt sander.. which means it's probaly high percentage of aluminum and salt does a job on aluminum...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I do like the look without the knob on top. However, I will probably stick with my "traditional look" until there is more "history" on this mechanism.

Thanks for your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom