Seashell Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

A friend asked me which wine pairs well with shellfish.

I drink an occasional beer and know nothing about wines.

His question inspired a little trove of seashell stoppers - hoping they'll pair well with shellfish.

Steps - 2 stage PR casting:
50ml centrifuge tube - these have very smooth interiors to avoid cell damage.
Add shells, dichro film slivers for added bling.
Fill to the 25ml mark with Mixol blue tinted PR mixed with a bit of mica powder.
Cast overnight at 50psi.
Add densely mica-pigmented PR up to the 35ml mark to conceal the drilled/tapped bottom, cast again overnight.
Cure x 1 week.
Castings pop out easily.
Wrap the castings with foam tape for protection while drilling and tapping on the lathe.
Wet sand to 2400 grit, then polish as usual:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Many leagues short of Jules Verne's work, but fun in the shallows.

Happy Sunday - Bob

Attachments

• SeashellBottleStoppers,castings,markison,2019,1000px.jpg
    SeashellBottleStoppers,castings,markison,2019,1000px.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 619
  • SeashellBottleStopper,markison,2019,1000px.jpg
    SeashellBottleStopper,markison,2019,1000px.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Beautiful Bob! From concept to execution.
I've used a lot of odd things for molds from yogurt cups, medicine bottles, cottage and Mac and cheese containers, pop cans and etc. I never would have thought about 50 ml tubes. I guess we use what we find in our surroundings. I love your creativity and never get tired of seeing your shared masterpieces. Can't wait to see what's next.

Bob in SF

Thanks Cody and Charlie!

Charlie - No dichro film surfaced - but yes, I would have finished with CA if it had surfaced.

No film or shell was harmed in the production of these stoppers. The resin had its moments, but the shavings could be up-cycled into a toupee or other wearable art.

I only lathe-contoured the bottoms, then 2400 mesh wet-sanded the surfaces prior to polishing with Novus 3, then Novus 2, then Hut Ultra Gloss Plastic polish.

(I've provided the details to assist current forumites and future archaeologists)

- Bob

Last edited:

BSea

No film or shell was harmed in the production of these stoppers. The resin had its moments, but the shavings could be up-cycled into a toupee or other wearable art.
:laugh:

That's really funny, and so true.

BTW, very nice stoppers. I may have to try one of those too. And like Mark, it makes me want to go scuba diving.

Top Bottom