Seam-Ripper Parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from christianpenz

christianpenz

Hi everyone! I just got done making some double ended seam rippers and I broke 2 of my retaining clips that came with it. So 2 of the double ended ones became single ended. I was wondering two things! Can you order replacement retaining clips if so where? And Second if not can I make another seam ripper with the extra stiletto's that I have? I am really needing retaining clips tho! Any comments welcomed!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

I am guessing the steletto is the cutter blade. You can make a holder like a fountainpen with a cap. I used regular cast resin blanks, turned round, then cut one part for the handle. Turn about 1/2" of one end smaller and use a die to cut threads. On the other drill and tap for the threads on the holder end and drill about 1/4" hole deep enough for the cutter.

I did this by first turning the blank to 3/4" diameter so it could be held in my collet chuck. Trust me it will take a few mistakes to get one to work. Murphy's Law will be working overtime, I only made these for close friends and relatives. Nobody will pay for the time involved, it is like making a fountain pen, very time consuming. I believe a pic is somewhere on here.

magpens

I would phone PSI and say that two broke. They might just send you replacements for free. Their toll-free number is on their webpage.

BTW ... Welcome to IAP !!!!

More4dan

Hi everyone! I just got done making some double ended seam rippers and I broke 2 of my retaining clips that came with it. So 2 of the double ended ones became single ended. I was wondering two things! Can you order replacement retaining clips if so where? And Second if not can I make another seam ripper with the extra stiletto's that I have? I am really needing retaining clips tho! Any comments welcomed!

When I have a spring that doesn't want to go all the way, I just insert the blade in the partially installed spring and push it the rest of the way in. It has worked everytime without buckling the spring. I once accedently installed 2 springs in one end and this method still worked without damaging the spring. I felt dumb but at least the spring didn't break.

You do need to post photos of your work, I, and i'm sure others, would like to see them.

Danny

Last edited:

PapaTim

When I have a spring that doesn't want to go all the way, I just insert the blade in the partially installed spring and push it the rest of the way in. It has worked everytime without buckling the spring. I once accedently installed 2 springs in one end and this method still worked without damaging the spring. I felt dumb but at least the spring didn't break.

You do need to post photos of your work, I, and i'm sure others, would like to see them.

Danny

This is the method I use too.

mecompco

I would phone PSI and say that two broke. They might just send you replacements for free. Their toll-free number is on their webpage.

BTW ... Welcome to IAP !!!!

I have done exactly this, and they were very nice about sending replacements gratis.

Regards,
Michael

PS Always call, as emails don't seem to get answered.

Top Bottom