99.3 KB · Views: 268
  • Gold Honey Hills Bottle Stopper v4(F+).jpg
    Gold Honey Hills Bottle Stopper v4(F+).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice !

Did you cast the blank, Steve, or is it a AA acrylic (looks like) ?

I am thinking of doing some seam rippers, but I find the kits a bit expensive for what you get, and also the internal flat springs a bit questionable (these springs come into play when you insert the business end of the ripper in reverse).

I was wondering about avoiding the kits and just buying long-shaft seam rippers, shortening the shaft, and gluing into the blank. No protection for or from the sharp tip when the ripper is not in use.
Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

More4dan

Nice !

Did you cast the blank, Steve, or is it a AA acrylic (looks like) ?

I am thinking of doing some seam rippers, but I find the kits a bit expensive for what you get, and also the internal flat springs a bit questionable (these springs come into play when you insert the business end of the ripper in reverse).

I was wondering about avoiding the kits and just buying long-shaft seam rippers, shortening the shaft, and gluing into the blank. No protection for or from the sharp tip when the ripper is not in use.
Any thoughts ?

My cousin owns a quilting company and I had her try one out. She says they are the best she has ever used. Extremely sharp and she really liked the fact it reversed into the handle for storage with no cap to lose. She ordered 20. The kit I used was from PSI. They sell for $25-$35.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Charlie_W

Nice job Steve!

I too do not use the clip nor finial cap. Did you turn this as a closed end or add the black after turning on a mandrel?

SteveAxelrod

Thanks for the comments! I bought this pen blank called "Honey Trails", drilled a 17/64" hole for the seam ripper (it's a tad bigger and I carefully file the hole larger so that the seam ripper fits snugly) and put that end on a 60 degree live center. The other end I tapped and put on a bottle stopper mandrel, turned my profile and parted off near the mandrel. I buy just the reversible seam ripper for $3.95.

Attachments

• Seam Ripper.jpg
    Seam Ripper.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 136

magpens

Thanks for those details, Steve !

So is this a closed end design ?

It does look like there is a black finial cap on the bottom end but perhaps that's an illusion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom