Scrollsawed horse on door project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ossaguy

ossaguy

I took a little break from pens to practice with my scrollsaw.

When I was a teenager,I had painted my bedroom door white,and it seemed fitting to paint the horse from my favorite album at the time,"Legend",by the country rock band Poco.

Looked pretty cool I thought......not sure if my mom was too thrilled..but hey,at least it wasn't drugs or getting in trouble with the law...

Fast forward 40 years,and in my new place I painted the doors white.I thought it would be neat if instead of black painting the lines on,I would make the lines out of wood that I cut on my saw,and glue them on to make the picture,since I like wood so much & needed a fun project to do.

So I drew the horse bigger,then cut out the pieces,and after lots of sanding with the Dremel tool,and by hand I darkened the walnut with BLO
then glued in place.

I realized that 40 years ago is when my place was built,so that's kinda neat.

Another fun project was to do was to remake the maker's badge.The old one was in pieces,so I had fun making a new one.In both projects,the designs got changed somewhat by my rookie skills,but gthey are pretty close.So now people will know a woodworker resides here! :)

Here's how they turned out.

Thanks for lookin',
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_9615.JPG
    IMG_9615.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_9657.JPG
    IMG_9657.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_9660.JPG
    IMG_9660.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9532.JPG
    IMG_9532.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_9536.JPG
    IMG_9536.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_9577.JPG
    IMG_9577.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9568.JPG
    IMG_9568.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Today I used my lathe to turn an exact,press-fitting eye for my horse out of ebony.I put a curve on it,and a ca finish so it reflects the light naturally.

I think it needed that finishing touch.

Going by the zero comments,I get it that it's not popular,but I had fun making it,and it was a nice break to try somethng different,other than just pens.Making the eye was a fun challenge too.

Thanks for letting me post it here,

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_9668.JPG
    IMG_9668.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9661.JPG
    IMG_9661.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 116

Lucky2

Steve, the no comment part probably comes from this being so much different then turning pens, that people don't know how to reply. The last picture helps see what your talking about doing, and, it makes it easier to understand what you are doing. That last supper cutting in the last picture, sure looks impressive.
Len

ossaguy

Thanks Len & JP,

The last Supper isn't a cutting....( I wish I was that talent!) but it's an embroidery that my sister made me about 30 years ago.I'll always cherish that,along with the handmade candlewick quilt that my mom made,that sits on my grandpa's chair that I restored,that are in same picture there.

It's neat to have keepsake/art stuff,made by loved ones so you always remember them every time you see it!

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

SteveJ

That is a pretty cool design for your door. Well done Steve.

I didn't know what "golden west" was, so I googled golden west pens (didn't find you) but it showed two really nice pens - one for $35,000 and another for $53,145. Too bad they weren't yours!

Nice work on the horse!

Steve

Skie_M

Heh .... if we didn't like it, you wouldn't have 14 likes on your post. :)

I liked it a lot, I just have nothing to say bout it, since I've never done any scrollwork and have no idea how to. :)

Top Bottom