?screwdriver tutorial? HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dave_Seward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_Seward

Does anyone have a link to a "how to" for screwdrivers? I loved the old wood handled screwdrivers and would like to make my own. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

splinter99

Hello
I would be happy to

Im using a 6 in 1 screwdriver from HFT, get an extra one because you are going to mount the shaft in a drill chuck and it will get sctatched up

make your furrels by cutting some copper pipe fittings in half with a pipe cutter, you can get a bag of 12 for $4.00

mount your "extra" shaft in a drill chuck, put the plastic handle on the shaft and turn off the plastic until you can get the metal insert out..you will need this metal insert for your new handle.

I use a blank 1 1/2" x about 7" it needs to be a little long because you have to mount it in a chuck then part it off

mount your blank between centers, turn round then turn a tennon to fit inside the chuck

mount the blank in your chuck, bring up the tail stock and turn another tennon on the end closest to the tail stock to fit tightly inside the furrel...Tap on the furrel with a mallet, Round the end of the furrel with a file with the lathe running

with the blank still mounted in your chuck, put a drill chuck in your tail stock with a 5/8 forrestner bit.
drill the blank deep enough to accept the insert you removed from the plastic handle. switch to a 7/16 brad point and drill deep enough to insert the shaft with the screwdriver bit

turn your blank to the shape you desire, sand, finish and part off with a parting tool.

Glue the insert from the plastic handle into the recess in your new wooden handle

you can put your extra shaft back in the drill chuck and put your new handle on it to finish the end of the handle and to polish up the copper with some sand paper

I hope this helps ..if you have any questions let me know..It seems like a lot of steps but they only take about 45 minutes start to finish.
I had fun making several today and I think they will make cool gifts and I'll try to sell a few at the next craft show that I attend

Harold

Randy_

Originally posted by splinter99
<br />.....Im using a 6 in 1 screwdriver from HFT, get an extra one because you are going to mount the shaft in a drill chuck and it will get sctatched up.....mount your "extra" shaft in a drill chuck, put the plastic handle on the shaft and turn off the plastic until you can get the metal insert out..you will need this metal insert for your new handle.....

It seems to me that you could wrap the "shaft" with a layer or two of tape(masking, electrical, duck or whatever) and that would protect it from any damage?

I started a screwdriver a year or so ago and got distracted so the hardware is still laying on my bench. I don't recall exactly how I got the plastic off of the metal insert; but didn't turn it off. Seems like I used a hacksaw to remove the upper 3" of the handle. (The insert is only about an inch long). Then cut a slot down to the metal in the remaining plastic parallel to the long axis of the insert......maybe two slots 180° apart.....and then used a screwdriver to pry off the remaining plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom