Screwdriver expriement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

I ordered a couple if the kits from rockler with the brass ferrules. But I got antsy to try so I repurposed a $3 Home Depot 6 in 1.

Just a start. I have plenty of my own criticism for it. I'll invite more of yours on the next couple. ;-)

Attachments

• image-3345747993.jpg
    image-3345747993.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 304
  • image-2625793265.jpg
    image-2625793265.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

You can make your own ferrules out of copper pipe. Then it would still be kitless.:biggrin:

That's a nice tool.:good: I like making custom tools, but I have a hard time deciding on the grade of blank. Mainly because I use my tools. And that makes me think I should use plain maple, oak, or almost anything common. But I want it to look cool too.:confused:

Dan Masshardt

You can make your own ferrules out of copper pipe. Then it would still be kitless.:biggrin: That's a nice tool.:good: I like making custom tools, but I have a hard time deciding on the grade of blank. Mainly because I use my tools. And that makes me think I should use plain maple, oak, or almost anything common. But I want it to look cool too.:confused:

Good idea on the pipe. I did think of that.

This is decent maple. Cocobolo would be nice for sell / gift.

Rick_G

You can also get brass fittings in the plumbing department. A little more expensive than copper pipe but they do look better and no waiting for an order to arrive from somewhere. That handle should give you lots of use and definitely looks better than the plastic thing that would have been on the original. One advantage of the $3 one from HD is you can get good quality bits for it and end up with a real nice high end screwdriver for a gift or to use yourself.

kovalcik

Looks good. I have made a few of these. I like how you can shape the handles any way you want. If you offset the center a little (1/8" to 1/4") you can give it an oval shape and keep it from rolling. As far as ferrules, I usually do not use them on the screwdrivers.

I tried this with a couple harbour freight ones. The hardware is really cheap. I like the Home Depot ones much better.

Top Bottom