Screwdriver - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Default Screwdriver

I've been meaning to try putting a wood handle on one of my cheap harbor freight screwdrivers. I got one free my last time there, so decided to have a go at it. The ferrule is a piece of 1" copper pipe. The wood is some mesquite that I didn't know that I had in my stack of scrap. I learned a few things, and my next one should turn out better, but I'm happy with the first attempt. (Note: definitely not an original idea, several examples on IAP, I got the idea from a YouTube video - there are several)
Attached Thumbnails
psx_20181206_203138.jpg   psx_20181206_203215.jpg  
Old 12-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Looks great! I have one or two of those to do as well.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 10

That looks great. I'm assuming you broke off all the plastic and used the shaft retaining hardware? I've looked at the kits, but free is always better!
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
That looks great. I'm assuming you broke off all the plastic and used the shaft retaining hardware? I've looked at the kits, but free is always better!
Yeah, I put in a vise and used a chisel. The plastic was surprisingly hard. The bushing is a hex head that is slightly larger than 1/2" (maybe 13mm). I don't have a 9/16 drill bit, so I drilled it at 5/8 and it was a little loose to my liking. Next time I am going to use 1/2" and use a chisel to match the hex head. I used gorilla glue for the bushing and ferrule, which I think was a good choice. Also, the extended hole for the shaft is slightly smaller (I can't remember what I used). One thing that I didn't think about is that if the bushing is not centered and true then the driver tip doesn't spin true with the hand (a little is not a problem, but a lot of wobble is a problem).
Old 12-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehn0045 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I put in a vise and used a chisel. The plastic was surprisingly hard. The bushing is a hex head that is slightly larger than 1/2" (maybe 13mm). I don't have a 9/16 drill bit, so I drilled it at 5/8 and it was a little loose to my liking. Next time I am going to use 1/2" and use a chisel to match the hex head. I used gorilla glue for the bushing and ferrule, which I think was a good choice. Also, the extended hole for the shaft is slightly smaller (I can't remember what I used). One thing that I didn't think about is that if the bushing is not centered and true then the driver tip doesn't spin true with the hand (a little is not a problem, but a lot of wobble is a problem).
Thanks for the details. Would it make sense to drill and install the bushing first, before final turning to ensure concentricity of the shaft?
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Good idea and love the grain of the wood. If you get the coupons, sometimes the screwdrivers are free. Free- my favorite word in the dictionary!
Old 12-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the details. Would it make sense to drill and install the bushing first, before final turning to ensure concentricity of the shaft?
Michael, that's definitely a good idea. I made another one today and tried a few different things, unfortunately didn't read your comment before hand. Here's a summary of my adventures:

Changed material to Texas Ebony, the hard material definitely added some challenges. The first attempt I drilled the hole for the bushing at 1/2" and enlarged using sandpaper. I then inserted the holder rod into the bushing. I then used my tailstock with a center to press it in. Unfortunately the handle cracked and the rod got stuck in the handle, total failure.

My second attempt with the Texas Ebony I drilled with the 5/8" like I did with the mesquite one. I used a similar procedure for pressing in, but put the holder rod 90 degrees offset so it is on the bushing but not completely inserted. This allowed me to remove the rod with very little force so I didn't risk gluing the rod in the handle (or pulling the bushing out), but I was more sure of the alignment. I still had to use some sandpaper on the hole because the holder rod wouldn't insert freely.

In hindsight, I probably would have had things much easier if I had glued in the bushing first. Also, with a softer material I probably could have drilled at 1/2" and chiseled the excess like originally planned. If done correctly, I think this would also help with centering and alignment of the bushing. Lastly, I'm thinking 2-part epoxy might be a better choice compared to gorilla glue. The gorilla glue foam out on the inside which was a hassle to clean out.
Attached Thumbnails
psx_20181207_222541.jpg  
Old 12-08-2018, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I make screwdrivers using the "hex shank magnetic quick release screwdriver bit holder" I drill a 1/4" hole about 1" deep into the blank, turn, sand and finish. Then insert the bit holder. https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-1-4-Hex...:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

Most of these were give aways, I would make up a few dozen for some of my better customers. I used cutoffs and scraps for the handles, so I had less than a dollar tied up in them. For ferrules I used copper pipe that I drilled and pinned in place.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads