Scandinavian puuko style knife for bushcraft in awesome burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hi guys,

Been a while I posted anything, I had ups and mostly downs, crafting stuff is good for mental health. So here is my latest craft.

I made a puuko knife, the blade is a Lauri PT 77mm, basically it is two steel, the core of the blade use a high carbon steel of 63rc and the outer steel is 55rc, it takes a really keen edge, awesome blade stock made in Finland. The sheath is hand made in Finland as well.

The wood is mineral stained redwood burl which I had professionally stabilized, had it for a while in my private stash and I am glad I took the plunge and made my first full tang knife. It is sanded with: 150, 240, 320, 400, 600 then 1000. The finish is walnut oil and micro crystalline wax. Very nice soft feeling and it is durable since the wood is cell stabilized. I still have the same wood in pepper mill size, if I ever have enough courage I might do it!

I was looking at scandi knives offering and I managed to make the handle shape I liked with the best blade available. A very rewarding project, I took my time and finished product exceeded what I thought I could achieve!

Clicky thumbnail and enjoy.

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Beautiful job! I love the handle. It is beautiful and looks very functional. A knife that will last a lifetime and more.

Jim Smith

CharlesH

Beautiful job! I love the handle. It is beautiful and looks very functional. A knife that will last a lifetime and more.

Jim Smith

I took the extra time to put grooves on the tang of this knife, I filed 20 grooves on it and it is glued with 24 hours epoxy which I let dry a few days before messing with it. The blade thickness is about 1/8 and while sanding the knife was really secure on the clamp, no lateral movement. It's always fun to make something that satisfy our standards. :)

C

mecompco

Very nice! Love the handle. I've been kinda itching to make another knife but need a forge for the heat treat. That will probably be a while after spending my extra cash on lathe stuff. Too many projects, too little time and money!

Regards,
Michael

CharlesH

Very nice! Love the handle. I've been kinda itching to make another knife but need a forge for the heat treat. That will probably be a while after spending my extra cash on lathe stuff. Too many projects, too little time and money!

Regards,
Michael

Micheal,

Why not buying a blade blank instead? I'm pretty sure it is impossible to match the quality of the sandwiched blade blanks at 15-20$! Get a Lauri PT blade cut the tang and make a nice bushcrafting knife! Take the time and spend little money, you have no reason to not treat yourself.

C

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

Micheal,

Why not buying a blade blank instead? I'm pretty sure it is impossible to match the quality of the sandwiched blade blanks at 15-20$! Get a Lauri PT blade cut the tang and make a nice bushcrafting knife! Take the time and spend little money, you have no reason to not treat yourself.

Oh, I agree that the laminated Scandinavian steel is awesome. There is, however, something really cool about making your own blade. And once you've done that, using someone else's to make a knife sort of feels like cheating. :biggrin:

Top Bottom