Salt, Pepper, and Fire

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dubdrvrkev

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

This is the pepper mill that I posted a few weeks back. I finally got around to making the almost matching salt shaker, and was able to finish after Tom came to the rescue with some white Corian. Both are curly maple. The confetti light is paper birch that was cut down from my parents yard a while back. The salt shaker and confetti light have not been buffed yet so they are a little duller than the peppermill. Although my photography is so poor that you can hardly tell. These are a b-day gift for my step-mom. Thanks for looking.

2007131231232_salt-pepper-confetti%20-1.jpg

2007131231259_salt-pepper-1.jpg

2007131231322_corian%20inlays.jpg

2007131231345_confetti-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Very nice, Kev. I like the color differentiation too. And I have some questions for you. 1) Where'd you get the confetti lamp, and 2) have you thought about making them both grinders. We have a S&P grinder set and love them.

dubdrvrkev

Thanks fellas.
Billy, the confetti light is one of the Wal-Mart ones. It is the larger of the two. I thought of making both mills but since they are for my parents I didn't want them to feel they needed to switch from regular table salt.

Firefyter-emt

I really like the corian inserts. How thick is it where the holes go thru? Did you use the rubber plugs from CSUSA for the bottom?? I might just have to try this myself.

Any tips on the Corian for getting it nice & round? [;)]

dubdrvrkev

To make the Corian insert this is how I do it.
I use a scratch awl to draw an X from corner to corner. Then make a nice dimple in the center. Next put some double stick tape on the other side of it and put the dimple on the point of the live center and bring it up snug to the spindle. The tape and tailstock has plenty of grip to turn with. Now just turn it round, I use a parting tool and run it in from the face and its round in a few seconds. Size it (I use a scraper) and make sure the sides are square to the faces. That will minimize glue lines around the edges. You should be able to take the tailstock away if you want to face off the blank but its really not neccesary.
For shakers use something like the long point of a skew to make a line around the blank so you can easily locate your holes. I use the center and the earlier scribed lines (intersection of the circle and X) to make 5 holes (1/16" is what the other shakers in the house had). I scribed a few lines around it to see what the best spacing was and that wouldn't hit the shoulder inside that the blank sits on. The shoulder is created from a 1" through hole, which fits the rubber bungs from CSUSA, and the 1 1/2" bore for the inlay. Don't drill your bore so deep that you bury the inlay other wise you will have to do a lot of reshaping of the wood after you glue the corian in. Good thing is the center hole is perfectly aligned with the tailstock so you can use it with worrying about damaging the top of you shaker. You only have to be careful when turning the very top since you will have to have the TS pulled away. I probably have 1/4" on the edges and 3/8" on the top of the corian.

BigRob777

Kevin,
Beautiful work. I like the corian accents too. It seems like some people make them too plain and others put too much contour, but you seem to have found a nice balance.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom