Saggybark Juniper bowl Pic heavy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

I was given a piece of shaggy bark juniper and the gentleman challenged me to make something out of it. It had a few bark inclusions and other "flaws" but I took up the challenge.
A few before pictures of the piece on the lathe the third pic shows a piece I though might break off so drilled it and drove a few walnut dowel pieces in to add strength. After finishing the outside I wrapped it in packing tape to keep it together. I saw the inclusions and cracks so the tape was a nice insurance. Then the finished piece talk about a labor of love. The finish is hand rubbed oil.
Thanks and input is always welcome. William

Attachments

• aajun1.jpg
    aajun1.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 180
  • aajun2.jpg
    aajun2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 198
  • aajun4.jpg
    aajun4.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 180
  • aajun6.jpg
    aajun6.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 159
  • aajun7.jpg
    aajun7.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 160
  • aajun8.jpg
    aajun8.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 169
  • aajun9.jpg
    aajun9.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 164
  • aajun10.jpg
    aajun10.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 174
  • aajun11.jpg
    aajun11.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

William, Great job on pulling this beauty from that mangled mess!!

I think I would have passed on something like this. I envision parts flying everywhere. Definitely time for full body armor and staying out of the strike zone.

Lucky2

William, you are a lot braver then I am, no matter what the challenge I would not have attempted to turn this piece of wood. Yes, the finished piece looks nice, but not nice enough to risk getting injured from. Are you having an issue with your lathe, the bowl walls aren't even. Look at the last picture,and you will see why I ask. The sidewalls aren't equal in thickness, one side looks much thicker then the other. It almost looks oval in shape, maybe it's an issue with how you turned the blank around to turn the interior?

Top Bottom