RM Suspended Bowl First Try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

This was my first try at making a suspended bowl from one flat board on the RM . Thanks to Tony B , a member of my Woodworking Friends site who deigned it . He made a tutorial on it and I put it in my WWF Turning Tutorials board. I finally got around to trying it.
I only used a piece of scrap plywood in case it didn't turn out right so this one is designer firewood. It actually looked pretty nice before I put the stain on it . The stain made it look awful so I am not going to do any further sanding or apply any finish before chucking it out. Next one with good wood will be great .

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

I love that style. Never made one from a board like that, may have to try it. Why don't you sand it nice and smooth and paint it. Would be great for holding dried flowers or a flower pot.

W.Y.

I love that style. Never made one from a board like that, may have to try it. Why don't you sand it nice and smooth and paint it. Would be great for holding dried flowers or a flower pot.

Thanks for your reply and ironically in a discussion on my WWF site somebody already suggested the same thing as you . I was about to chuck it out after trying a few other things that had been discussed and he said paint it and somebody will buy it .
I rather detest painting wood but will make an exception in this case seeing as it is just plywood .

So with yours and his suggestions I am going to try that . Will have to use oil base paint because the stain was oil base . .
If it turns out good enough I will post a picture here as well .

JimB

Glad you are going to try to save it. Sometimes you don't really know what a piece will look like until you properly finish it. I've had more than one piece really surprise me.

William,
I made a pepper mill from ordinary plywood from Lowe's and thought it would look good if I dyed it Tennessee orange... looked absolutely horrible, and I was about to toss it, but being the cheap son ...... I am I decided to try and sand back the dye... most of it sanded away and just left hints of orange in cracks and crevices... looked better and the first weekend it was at the market a Tennessee fan jumped on it.

As Frank used to say, people is funny critters.

Marmotjr

Yes please try to save that! You never know what may turn up. At the very least, even if you now have heavily sanded designer firewood, you might get an idea for a future process.

Arbetlam

I actually like it. Take this suggestion with a grain of salt, but see how the legs would look with the bevel going to the inside. I beliave this would make the lines more distinct, give it a cleaner look.

W.Y.

Thanks for all the nice replies and suggestions and critiques but no matter what I did to that one it just got worse. Tried painting and it looked OK until the paint started entering some plies like a sponge and stayed on top of others . Tried sanding that all off and was just wasting sandpaper because it was plugging up terribly .
Sometimes we have to know when to give up because the other one I have shown on this board with a lid and made of red oak took half as long to make from start to finish than it did trying to save that plywood one after it was already turned to shape ..

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/suspended-bowl-box-lid-142020/

I am not disappointed at all . It was just a prototype to get the hang of making that design from a flat board .That was mission accomplished for me by doing that with a scrap piece of plywood in case I ran into design problems that couldn't be corrected before trying it on good wood ..
Now if I had used some cheaper solid wood like pine or poplar that would have been a different story. That would have been easy to sand down and apply my usual lacquer finish . Good lesson learned .

Last edited:
Top Bottom