Ring for the wife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmcclellan

bmcclellan

For a personal gift for my wife I went to the ole internet and ordered a bunch of goodies.

This is what I ended up turning on the lathe for my wife.

25592021_10215091761872519_1900180483608756005_n.jpg

Wood is Cocobolo I had in the shop.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Joe

she is going to like that, came out nice, I have made rigs on a metal lathe, now time to try it on the wood lathe, sure hope you have a matching one

Woodchipper

Odd.... my wife has been mentioning turning rings. A fellow member from our turning club mentioned he has turned several rings plus a bunch that shattered.

MTViper

Did you use the ring inserts from Craft Supplies? I made a pair out of Purpleheart. His was an 8mm, hers was a 3mm. Hers split in half after a couple of days. I'm back to the drawing board with a different type metal insert.

chartle

For a personal gift for my wife I went to the ole internet and ordered a bunch of goodies.

Does it have an insert? I've never heard of a 100% wooden ring that lasted more than a few days.

bmcclellan

coffeeslug

Did you use the ring inserts from Craft Supplies? I made a pair out of Purpleheart. His was an 8mm, hers was a 3mm. Hers split in half after a couple of days. I'm back to the drawing board with a different type metal insert.

The metal split in half or just the wood? I wouldn't do anything less than 4-5 mm for strength and so the grain is more visible.

bmcclellan

Yes but I did leave a little slack and let the CA do the work. The 1st attempt slit because I did not have enough of an opening in the wood.

J-D pens

The sleeve cores offer no side protection which is where the impacts usually are, rings with side will last a very long time, mine is almost 8 years old and worn every day and still looks almost perfect, you also need to score the metal to create a mechanical joint for the glue to adhere, I also use professional grade epoxy to glue the core and blank together. If you want to try a different style core I make several different sizes and widths. Send me a pm

MTViper

The metal split in half or just the wood? I wouldn't do anything less than 4-5 mm for strength and so the grain is more visible.

The wood blank split along the grain lines where it was thinnest. I like the CSUSA inserts, but the ones from Wildwood Designs Ring Supplies are two piece and wrap around the wood to keep it secure.

jaywood1207

Does it have an insert? I've never heard of a 100% wooden ring that lasted more than a few days.

There are 2 different styles of wood rings (no metal). Laminated has 3 layers minimum with alternating grain direction for each layer and bentwood style. If made properly wood rings will last with bentwood be the stronger option. If you take a piece of wood and make a ring then it will not last as there is no strength in a single piece. I have been making rings for about 7 yrs and have only had 2 break (laminated style) and they were from a couple which I believe did it on purpose to test the strength. They were also 2 of my most difficult customers.

jaywood1207

Nice ring. What type of finish did you put on it? I'm sure she was very pleased.

Not trying to hijack the thread but for those looking at trying rings with metal inserts I strongly suggest contacting JD Pens from the previous post in this thread. I have used wildwood designs and JD's and JD's are a much better quality.

My latest with the metal insert and material from JD.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Top Bottom