Retirement Gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

bmac

One of the heart surgeons my daughter works for is retiring and the nurses have been telling him for years he needs a new box to store his loupes in.
It's a wooden box and they no longer make them. So, guess who she comes to to make him a replacement as a retirement gift. The original is just a plain finger joint square box but I felt a well established heart surgeon needed something better than that. I like the paradise style box, so that is the style I went with but I wanted it to reflect his profession. On the lid I v-carved his name using a CNC machine and underlined it with a ECG line. On the front of the box I engraved a heart with the ECG line going into and out of it. All of the v-carving I filled in with coffee grounds and CA glue. I think the box is a more fitting gift than just a square box.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-13-20-23-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-09-13-20-23-47.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 313
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NLAlston

Bobby,

What a nice idea, that turned into a VERY nice gift. I love what you've done, and have no doubt that the recipient was ecstatic about it.

I, also, am quite intrigued with your V-groove filling technique. I've had similar wishes, and had purchased an epoxy stick, by which to achieve like results. But (unless I'm doing something wrong) I could not arrive at satisfactory application with it. Before your post, I had never heard of using CA glue/coffee grounds for groove line fillings.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the process? Do you utilize, maybe, some type of slow setting CA glue, with the coffee grounds mixed into a paste, with it, then filled into the grooves? Or, is it just a matter of filling the groves just shy of the surface, and then sprinkling the grounds on top of the glue?

Advanced thanks, Bobby.

Top Bottom