Resin birdhouse ornament

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

This is my first birdhouse ornament from resin and if I didn't have 4 more in various stages of turning it would be my last. It took so long to make compared to one from wood that it's not worth the time involved for me. The last part I turned was the perch which I expected to be fast & easy. Hah! 1/8" diameter is apparently pushing the limit for structural integrity of PR, ie it broke off the collet on the first try. I turned the second one a bit fatter and just enlarged the hole with a reamer. I'm happy with it, especially for a first effort, but after the others are done, no más! They're for my coworkers so I'm making them in colors they like. The first lady likes black and grey but I kicked it up with silver because I don't have any grey mica (does it even exist?). Sorry for the subpar pics, but it's getting late and I was up late last night too, I have no motivation to take better ones. Thanks for looking.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

First time I have seen a birdhouse made from a synthetic material. Nice. But it seems that you didn't care for the experience and hesitate at making any more (no mas as you said).

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That came out nice Jay, but I can only cringe at the added time for it. One of the nice things I enjoyed when I turned a few, as a bird house, I often left them with a more "rustic" appearance and finish.

I won't hijack your post, but there are pictures at the beginning of my photo album.

First time I have seen a birdhouse made from a synthetic material. Nice. But it seems that you didn't care for the experience and hesitate at making any more (no mas as you said).

Thanks, and yes what started as a fun project has turned into a bit of a chore. Now worries though, the experience is worth it, the MA at the clinic loved it, and after the rest are done I'll have some happy coworkers and then I can make all I want from wood!

That came out nice Jay, but I can only cringe at the added time for it. One of the nice things I enjoyed when I turned a few, as a bird house, I often left them with a more "rustic" appearance and finish.

I won't hijack your post, but there are pictures at the beginning of my photo album.

Thanks Mark. I knew it would take longer than one from wood, but truthfully I had no idea what I was getting into. I haven't done any rustic ornaments, but the one larger birdhouse I turned had a natural edge at the base of both the body and the roof, and I like the look a lot. It seems a rustic one would be more like what a bird would make if you know what I mean.

Top Bottom