Remember these toys of yesteryear - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellicoTurning View Post
These were the second preferred toys when I was in grammar school... first being marbles... thought these might be a fun thing to offer in my booth this summer...
First is oak, second is a scrap from a glue up I did for a pepper mill, Maple and spectraply Crossbones and Red Ryder, third is spalted sycamore and the last is cherry.

Haven't tested them yet, thought I had a ball of cord in the shop, but didn't find it, so will need to get the string to throw them next time I'm in town.
They are all finished with Hut polish and topped with carnuba wax.
Nicely made, it certainly brings memories back but, I've seen mentioned these tops and marbles but no one mentioned the coins or buttons throwing against a wall, most of the time school cement rendered walls, after a while, one could tell where these games have been played, particularly when coins were used, the damage was visible but we saw it as an extra difficulty/challenge as throwing the coin onto the wall holes the landing/direction, distance was not as controlled, no one seemed to care about the wall damages/scars, I don't think you would get away with it today.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Very Nice! I remember trying to play with them. I never seemed to master the art of throwing the things. I also had the Wizzer Tops but that got boring pretty fast. It was also mentioned here about dating yourself. I'll tell you the day it sank in that I'm old! We went to Ok City to visit our son and went to a Science Museum just to do something different and kill some time. It was basically geared for kids. When we first walked in they had some huge display cases of stuff that I guess they considered old relics. It didn't;t take long for me to see that I not only knew what everything was I played or use over half of the items. There were the old manual typewriters, Rotary Phones, Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys to name a few. Now I blaming the fact that things change much faster because of technology now so it's necessarily the fact that I'm THAT OLD!
Kenny Durrant is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Mike Hosaluk was a demonstrator at our Turning Symposium last summer and in one of his demonstrations he turned a similar top. Then he wound the string on it and tossed it. He turned a second one before the first stopped spinning. Not as pretty as yours Chuck but still impressive.

Among most of the toys mentioned above including a 6" sheath knife I had when I was 6, I loved playing with the cap rockets. You put a paper cap from a roll (same kind as cap guns) in it and then threw it as high or as far as you could. When it hit the pavement you got a nice satisfying bang and a puff of smoke. A most delightful toy!!
Curly is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Pocket knife was always a Case, typically and Old Timer. Marbles with my friends, but Dad and one of his friends went to a lot of auctions when the three of us boys would get up games if pitching quarters against a wall with the other kids.

Lincoln logs, tinker toy toys and American Building Blocks, the predecessor to LEGOs.

Playing, I believe it was called “jack” with a 2 blade pocket knife by flipping it in the air and gaining points if it landed on the blades.

How about skate boards with metal wheels, swinging from loft to loft on a rope in the barn or even deciding to sleep the night in the barn in the fall because it was comfortable and warm among the the hay bales.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Think deeply, Speak gently
Love much, Laugh alot
Work hard, Give freely
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

Great job on those, Chuck. I've been wanting to turn some tops myself. What did you use for the points?

I don't have any left that I used to play with, but I did find one in my grandfather's old trunk that probably belonged to one of my uncles - probably from 1930-1935 or so.

Marbles, tops & knives were our favorite recess games. We played a mumblety-peg game at recess. You flipped the knife off a body part - arm, elbow, back of the hand, etc & whichever player could make it stick in the ground closest to a target would win that round and get to name the next trick.

Our favorite top game was to draw a circle and get your top spinning inside that circle, then throw another top and try to knock another player's top out of the circle. Sometimes kids played "keepers" but most couldn't afford to buy another one, so we didn't engage in that.

Marbles were a different story - they were pretty cheap and we almost always played keepers, again trying to knock marbles out of a circle.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Mike Hosaluk was a demonstrator at our Turning Symposium last summer and in one of his demonstrations he turned a similar top. Then he wound the string on it and tossed it. He turned a second one before the first stopped spinning. Not as pretty as yours Chuck but still impressive.

Among most of the toys mentioned above including a 6" sheath knife I had when I was 6, I loved playing with the cap rockets. You put a paper cap from a roll (same kind as cap guns) in it and then threw it as high or as far as you could. When it hit the pavement you got a nice satisfying bang and a puff of smoke. A most delightful toy!!
Years ago I made some of those cap rockets, I used 2 nails to pop the paper caps. Cut most of the shank off of the nails, 1 went on the inside with the cap, the other on the point of the "rocket". It also made a pretty good lawn dart, but that nail shank could hurt.
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
Great job on those, Chuck. I've been wanting to turn some tops myself. What did you use for the points?

I don't have any left that I used to play with, but I did find one in my grandfather's old trunk that probably belonged to one of my uncles - probably from 1930-1935 or so.

Marbles, tops & knives were our favorite recess games. We played a mumblety-peg game at recess. You flipped the knife off a body part - arm, elbow, back of the hand, etc & whichever player could make it stick in the ground closest to a target would win that round and get to name the next trick.

Our favorite top game was to draw a circle and get your top spinning inside that circle, then throw another top and try to knock another player's top out of the circle. Sometimes kids played "keepers" but most couldn't afford to buy another one, so we didn't engage in that.

Marbles were a different story - they were pretty cheap and we almost always played keepers, again trying to knock marbles out of a circle.

Edgar,
I used some large cup hooks for the points, but thinking they may be a little light... think I may find some framing nails with have two heads and cut them to fit, the grind the top head to a point. .. will give them more weight at the bottom.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #28 (permalink)

Use a double headed nail, cut off the top head, and part of the nail shank.

First cut off the top head and to length. Drill hole on blank for a tight fit. Jam nail in hole, this will be your mandrel while turning. I use a drill chuck in the headstock. Turn to shape and pull out the nail. Now mount the nail from the long end in your drill chuck. Then grind a point on the short end of the nail and re insert the long end with epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails
nail-spin-top.jpg  

Last edited by dogcatcher; 02-09-2019 at 09:19 PM.
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 12:24 AM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 58

Chuck, great job on the tops. I remember playing with these in elementary school. We always had contest trying to knock chunks out of each others tops. Favorite pocket knife was always a Case pocket knife. High School years, our favorite knife game was “chicken”. Face each other about 4-6’ apart with feet spread wide apart. Must throw & stick the knife between the other fellows feet. Each time the knife stuck, you had to move one of your feet close to the knife. Play till you lost your nerve...
Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Default Remember these toys of yesteryear

Either I was poorer or I had a reputation for loosing things as a kid. First knife was a Barlow while I envied those Case knives.
Much of my candy money came from pitching coins against the wall. Whoever was closest picked all the coins and pocketed them. Started with nickels and dimes and hustled our way up to quarters.

Is there somewhere I could find any drawings or plans for those throwing tops? The profiles were very similar back in the day and I’m sure there was a good reason.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited by More4dan; 02-10-2019 at 10:55 AM.
More4dan is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads