Refinishing mantle and woodwork around fireplace

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

Need Advice!
I stripped this wood with a heat gun and scraper. (Arrggghh! So macho!) Then I used that citrus gel stuff to get the rest loosened. Now, I'm cleaning it up with mineral spirits and rags, as per instructions on the citrus stuff. Once I get all the goop off what do I do next? Sand? And then what? What kind of finish do I put on it? Russ, don't tell me CA! I'd love to try that lacquer French Polish thing but I think I'll try that on a less ambitious project.
I'm thinking I need some sort of brush on finish. I don't have a spray applicator.

DSCN0569.jpg

I'll ventilate well. I do love the dog.

Thanks y'all!

Julia

alamocdc

Julia, I have two favorite finishes for flat work. But one takes significantly more time than the other. My all time favorite is an equal part mixture of polyurethane, tung oil and BLO. It will take from 4 to 6 coats, one per day (but you may need longer) and rubbing it out with 0000 steel wool in between coats. Yes, this is the timely one. The other is what I've used on the majority of my furniture projects. It has proven very durable over the years, even on the kids bunk beds (now over 20 years old and still in use). It is plain old polyurethane... and not the water based stuff either. Three or four coats usually does the trick. Remember to use 0000 steel wool between the coats.

DKF

Do not sand it....If you have trouble getting it completely clean and down to bare wood, find "Greens" remover....get the liquid, use fine steel wool, and it will stip and clean it right down to bare....after that, wipe down with Lacquer thinner, again using steel wool....now it is ready to apply your finish.

jtate

Thanks!

I'd forgotten about the steel wool thing. I'll definitely use that

I won't sand.

I'll post an "after" picture when it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom