Red Bay Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

This is the second Red Bay bowl turned from a series of bowl blanks cored from the same log. Finished with several buffed coats of Odie's Oil. Once again Mother Nature gets 99% of the credit.

View in Gallery

Attachments

• Red Bay Bowl #2 (FF).jpg
    Red Bay Bowl #2 (FF).jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful timber and you should be proud of the bowl! And, just my preference, but I love the open inclusions. NICE.

SteveAxelrod

Thanks for the kudos. The holes and burrows in the wood are from the Redbay Ambrosia Beetle which is probably why this tree was cut down. Unfortunately its infected quite a few trees in Florida and the fungus which it carries into the wood ultimately kills the tree.

robutacion

I agree with the other posters, that is indeed a stunning piece of busy wood.

You have also done a great job with it, the finish enhances the wood well and in cases like these, that is most important.

Nature has strange way to do things, I can say that I have lost and will continue to lose lots of good logs due to the wood borer creatures and other sorts of infestations that wood tends to get, and while I can not explain why trees have to die as a result, I can also say that, some of the best pieces of wood I ever seen/put my hands on, area woods where those creatures enter the wood with ist's fungi and created some of the most spectacular works ever seen, that I know...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom