Question on Salt & Pepper Sets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from winpooh498

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

I have never tried to sell these but I have given away several sets to family and friends with salt and pepper mills that match. Never have made the shakers. Biggest challenge in making a set is making them to match, making two of anything is always a bigger challenge. I have also made just pepper mills for other folks, usually in premium wood that is hard to duplicate in two mills.

Guess I really didn't answer your question at all, did I?

winpooh498

Ray,
you did answer my question, kind of. But that is ok.[8D] I know that getting the 2 pieces to match will be difficult, but I do enjoy a challenge.[:D]
Thanks for you input
Dawn

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You can get a "salt-shaker" top or a "salt-mill" mechanism that is made of resin (stainless will corrode if exposed to salt). I make the salt a "tad" shorter, usually, to indicate which is which. (Salt mill)

Very few people are willing to pay for a set. One piece starts at $50. But a set of two starts at $125. I have to turn MUCH more slowly and the two patterns have to match (Including the lamination). IT is MORE difficult than making 2 peppermills - charge accordingly.

FWIW[:D][:D][:D]

winpooh498

Thanks Ed,
I didn't even think about the corrosion with the stainless top and the salt.[:0] I just ordered a bunch of them![B)] Where can I get the Acrylic ones?
I have one set of the "deluxe" pepper mill and salt mill from CSUSA, but am having a hard time getting my blanks the right lengths. It is only a 6" set so I don't want to cut it down in size, so I made another blank and started over.
I figured that if I was going to make a set it would have to be a simpler design, and my single mills could be more elaborate.
Thanks for you input

Dawn

Dawn,
Working on my first set now.. I had a block of tulipwood that I figured to make the set from.. will try to rememeber to post picts when I get finished... I'm using the shaftless crush grind for the peppermill and it gets a little tricky sometimes getting the dims just right.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dawn,

There are two places to adjust your length.

1) The tenon you turn on the top can be 1/4" to 3/4" long (1/2" of adjustment).
2) The "indent" in the bottom that accomodates the hardware also has about a quarter inch of flexibility - if you use my router method of creating this, it is easily "depth adjustable".

Having struggled with this for MANY mills, I now purchase (and sell) only 10" and 18" mechanisms, then cut them after the mill is finished to fit THAT mill. MUCH easier!!!!![:D]

And, yes, I do have some salt mechanisms, send e-mail for further info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom