PSI Seam Ripper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from montmill

montmill

The spring on one of my seam rippers is really tight. So much so I have to use a paper towel around it and use a pliers to remove it. The paper towel is to prevent the pliers from scratching the plating.

I'm wondering if anyone else has that problem and if so, how do you fix it?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have had several kits come with two springs stuck together, once getting four total springs. You need to look close to see the extras. Bonus parts for later repairs.

montmill

Thank you all for the replies. I took the springs out and the trouble seems to be extra glue in the tube. I've used epoxy, is there any way to soften it or do I have to physically remove it with a file?

Thanks again, learning a lot.

mecompco

Thank you all for the replies. I took the springs out and the trouble seems to be extra glue in the tube. I've used epoxy, is there any way to soften it or do I have to physically remove it with a file?

What I like to do is wrap a transfer punch w/220 grit and chuck it in my hand drill. Run that through the tube a few times and it leaves a schmutz-free tube. I know a file will also work, but this is quick and keeps the inside of the tube round and nice looking. Just my .02.

Regards,
Michael

PS This is also a good way to make sure you don't crack delicate blanks during assembly as if you run the drill a bit longer, you will slightly increase the ID of the tube. Use Loc-Tite if you happen to get the fitment a bit loose.

More4dan

I use one of theses. Works great on CA and epoxy.
2f7d24d298c0b47546022bfd499ef9a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

What I like to do is wrap a transfer punch w/220 grit and chuck it in my hand drill. Run that through the tube a few times and it leaves a schmutz-free tube. I know a file will also work, but this is quick and keeps the inside of the tube round and nice looking. Just my .02.

Regards,
Michael

PS This is also a good way to make sure you don't crack delicate blanks during assembly as if you run the drill a bit longer, you will slightly increase the ID of the tube. Use Loc-Tite if you happen to get the fitment a bit loose.

Thanks, that's a great idea. I've been using a round file and a reamer, meanwhile I have a set of punches 3 feet away....

Top Bottom