Precision Scrap?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wasn't sure where to put this....here or the tool forum, but as I made it I guess it can go here:wink:

Just over 4 years ago this month I joined IAP and while cruising through the library I came across some really cool vids by Ed Davidson ( YoYoSpin )
In one of his videos he was using a weird contraption that I found out was called a Rose Engine Lathe. I had never seen anything like it, but promised that it would be on my lengthy 'to-do' list.
So over the last few months I've been building this monstrosity:biggrin: from 99% scrap parts or tools I had already like the router and compound table.

This beast has two speeds from two motors. Under the table there is an old drill press motor that drives it at 1450 rpm. Between the sides of the machine is a small DC motor that drives a double worm gear arrangement to turn the spindle at a whopping 1 rpm :eek:( yep, one rev per minute! )

In these pics it is shown with my tailstock with a homemade spring loaded live centre. I threaded the spindle so it takes other chucks.

Still work to do making the 'rubbers'
The only parts I bought are the two collet chucks and the plumber block bearings. The rest comes from old electrical switchgear and even bits from an old bicycle.

I haven't actually used it yet, cos I'm having too much fun making the attachments for it. :rolleyes:

So thanks Mr Davidson!!!!:biggrin:

Attachments

• RoseEngine1.jpg
    RoseEngine1.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 797
  • RoseEngine2.jpg
    RoseEngine2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 623
  • RoseEngine3.jpg
    RoseEngine3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 515
  • RoseEngine4.jpg
    RoseEngine4.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 625
  • RoseEngine5.jpg
    RoseEngine5.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 510

louie68

This is truly amazing keep thinking steve.
Steve did you every find that cross inlay pen picture ? I still like to see it,
Louie56

Phunky_2003

See thats what we been missing. Absolutely amazing! With the unbelievable pieces of art your able to do on a lathe, I can wait to see what you can turn out with this.

mrburls

That's AWESOME. I'm impressed :eek:
I went to try one out this summer back in Pa. when visiting my parents. The guy who makes them actually lived only an hour away from where I use to live and never knew it. They are very impressive machines. Takes alot of time and practice to learn how to use one.

YET ALONE BUILD ONE

Keith "mrburls"

sptfr43

Oh great you're back! Just when I was getting over feeling inadequate next to your stuff. ; ) I would love to know where you come up with these inspirations. welcome back!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
This is truly amazing keep thinking steve.
Steve did you every find that cross inlay pen picture ? I still like to see it,
Louie56

Sorry Louie, I think I must have lost it or something.:frown:

That's AWESOME. I'm impressed :eek:
I went to try one out this summer back in Pa. when visiting my parents. The guy who makes them actually lived only an hour away from where I use to live and never knew it. They are very impressive machines. Takes alot of time and practice to learn how to use one.

YET ALONE BUILD ONE

Keith "mrburls"

Keith, are you talking about Messrs Lindow and White? I'd love to have one of their machines!!! I may buy a cutting frame from them.....and a straight line chuck.....and .....:rolleyes::biggrin:

JohnU

Glad to see you posting again Skiprat! Was afraid we lost you. That tool is unbelievable. No surprise YOU built it. Can't wait to see how you amaze us with it!

el_d

:eek:......(Jawdropping)

:redface:(Speechless)

I still want to be a Rat when I grow up.......:biggrin:

Im still trying to turn a stupid Bolt for a grip.:mad:

ctubbs

:eek:......(Jawdropping)

:redface:(Speechless)

I still want to be a Rat when I grow up.......:biggrin:

Im still trying to turn a stupid Bolt for a grip.:mad:
Heck! I'm still trying to get some wood to come out the right size to fir my pen parts:redface:. Still too big/too little.
Charles

Oh yes, Skiprat, way AWESOME!!!

I'm just wondering how much head scratching and swearing went into that. :biggrin: Any chance we can get some pics of it in action to get a better idea of how it works?

Padre

How super cool! That is some very nice engineering and building. I can't wait to see what you can do with it.:)

Fred

Yep, truly amazing device. Now, make a YouTube of it in action so we can see it make coffee or something.

I have one question ... Do you go to bed at night and have several simple/normal dreams, or, do you toss and turn designing 'stuff?' :confused:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Many thanks for the comments and particularly for the 'welcome backs':wink:

I'm just wondering how much head scratching and swearing went into that. :biggrin: Any chance we can get some pics of it in action to get a better idea of how it works?

LOL, lots of swearing:biggrin:

The theory behind them is actually fairly simple. It gets EXTREMELY complicated, but the basics are straight forward. I honestly haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Like any lathe, it has a headstock. Instead of the headstock being solidly fixed to a bed, it has a pivot point at it's base.
The spindle is traditionally rotated slowly by hand or treadle. Many modern ones have motors with gearboxes to turn it slowly.
The spindle not only carries the workpiece in a chuck but it also has 'Rosettes' with specifically designed lumps and bumps around it's circumferance.
There is a solid pillar next to the headstock that has a 'rubber' mounted on it. It's called a rubber because it 'rubs' against the rosette.
As the spindle rotates with the rosette and the rubber touching, the headstock is forced to rock back and forth about the pivot point. Either a spring or a counterweight keeps it against the rubber.

Next, a cutter ( which is mounted on the compound table) is advanced into the workpiece in increments until the desired depth is attained.

From here on it can get infinitely complex, but a common feature is 'pumping'. Here the spindle not only rotates, but also moves in and out along it's own axis. Most often a rosette with bumps on it's side does this, but there are other methods. Mine will bump off a standard rosette.
The bumps on the rosette will push the spindle forward and a spring will push it back. You can see the springs on mine behind the rhs bearing block.

Sometimes when a pattern is being explored, before possibly ruining an expensive workpiece, a trial run is done on a piece of paper.
This actually needs some imagination as the line produced by the pen really only shows the very point of the cutter being used and of course doesn't show any depth. It gives you only a 2D image of what will be a 3D cut.

I clamped a roller bearing ( rubber) on my pillar just to show the principle.

Clear as mud?:confused::biggrin:

Edit in; I just added the third pic to show how the pattern reverses simply by moving the pen ( cutter ) to the opposite side of the workpiece. So what ever the movement caused by the rubber - rosette, that pattern will be inversed. I think this is the single biggest change that can be done without changing the shape of either the rubber or the rosette.
I'm only using a simple 24 bump rosette, but I believe that even this settup can give thousands and thousands of different patterns.:tongue:

Attachments

• RE1.jpg
    RE1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 225
  • RE2.jpg
    RE2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Otherside.jpg
    Otherside.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

LEAP

Let's see:
blank flange: Got that
Bicycle chain and sprockets: Got those
Ali plate: Got that
Pen Mandrel: got that too
Dremel: yup
Pillow blocks: around here some where

A clue on how to put it all together: not a chance

I give up! Rube Goldrat has struck again!

Can't wait to see what you produce with this.

Glad to see you back, you always keep me thinking.

LEAP

Alright Steven,
Thanks to the pics and explanations I see how most everything goes together and works. One question about the little drive motor on the inside what does that one do? compared to the motor with the step pulley?

Last edited:

turbowagon

Like a mad scientist! Amazing -- can't wait to see what you create on that beast.

On a side note, I perused your online gallery this weekend for the first time, and it's quite impressive and inspirational. You're truly a master, and I'm really glad you're back on the forum.

- Joe

stolicky

What a piece of %#$@! I mean, what is that plastic Staedler thing? : )

All joking aside, rose engine lathes are amazing machines, and you have, once again, demonstrated your skilled and creative talents. Thank you.

cnirenberg

Holy #$%%$ Mr. Gingery, where do you find the time? Steven looks too cool. (hey that's funny, me and Chris (Stolicky) speak the same lingo. Must be that Loudonville thing)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Alright Steven,
Thanks to the pics and explanations I see how most everything goes together and works. One question about the little drive motor on the inside what does that one do? compared to the motor with the step pulley?

Phil, the little motor is the primary motor. This is the one that drives the spindle at about 1 rev/minute.
The big motor underneath ( you can see the step pulley ) will rarely be used and is used as a conventional lathe motor. The headstock is simply prevented from rocking while this motor runs. It will be used to 'true-up' the work piece prior to decoration using the smaller motor.
It really just allows me not to lose any accuracy by transferring the work from another lathe to this one.

The small DC motor spins at around 1250 rpm ( at 24Vdc), but has two worm gear reduction gears that give an output of 3 rpm. The ratio between the small cog and big cog is around 3:1 thus a final drive of 1 rpm. The torque is phenomenal !!! So to take advantage of this I used the bike chain and cogs. I found that using round rubber belts, to ovecome slipage and 'springyness' I needed to make the belt so tight that it refused to 'pump'. With the chain, I only need to take up the slack gently and it still pumps beautifully.
Of course, to stop the chain de-railing while pumping, I hand to keep the cogs as far apart as possible. They are about 350mm between centres now. This is why there are more holes in that side of the frame than in a Swiss cheese. :redface: No planned engineering in my shop!!! Everything is done by trial, error, blue air and coffee:biggrin:

If the cutter ( so far only a router in my case ) tends to dwell on the workpiece too long then of course it may just burn a finished cut, so I will put a variable resistor in with the motor and up the supply volts to 48Vdc and then I will have variable speed range of between 1 and 3 rpm.

Thanks again for comments:wink:

I'm going for a pint.....I just spent 7 1/2 hours driving to Dundee, Scotland. 2hrs of that were stuck in roadworks outside Mr Liggets house!!!!:mad:
Mark, tell them to hurry up and finish that damned M80 upgrade!!!!:tongue:

Rfturner

Skippy You never cease to amaze me, I would love to just watch you work and glean as much a I can from you. At the very least I can say that I watched a mad scientist work and create another beautiful piece

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
If I am ever on a deserted island, I want you there with me Skip! You could make a turbo charged raft with only coconuts and a ball of yarn! Looks awesome and I cannot wait to see what comes off that contraption.

Top Bottom